Replacing door frame but keep existing composite doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

can someone please advise me if it's possible to get a new door frame but keeping the existing composite doors and hung them onto the new door frame?
If yes, what door frame would it be (wooden etc?) and where do I get it from? Any links to specific frames would be great so I know exactly what I need to buy.

Many thanks.

Alena

Sponsored Links
The dimension are key, as if the size is not available in timber then it would have to be made to measure and be more expensive.
PVC likewise would be made to measure if not of a standard size, so it is possible.

Sponsored Links
Is the door still under guarantee? (usually 10 years)
Do you know the make or who fitted it? They would be your best bet for who to speak to first.

Hi, the door was installed before we bought the house, there's no way to find out about guarantee. Would Double glazing company be the best bet to find out? I'm not sure whether they would say that new door with frame is needed to make the sale though?

To be honest having a frame specially made to fit an old door and having it all fitted will probably cost more than a whole new door and frame. What is actually wrong with the frame?

Nothing is wrong with the frame or the door. I want to move the door in line with the external walls, currently the walls go in U shape and we have external cuppboard outside. We want to move the door in line with the external wall, knock down the internal walls which will open up the room. We wanted to fit the new door frame and use the existing door to close up the room and all the other works can be done in house without having to board up the entrance to the house. I anticipate the existing door frame will get damaged when removing it. Trying to avoid unnecessary cost as door is in perfect condition.

The frame and door should come out with no problems.
If needs be you could pick up a cheap temporary door from ebay or a local double glazing company

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back