Replacing double glazed seal external side of Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the external rubber seal on a double glazed unit, the seal I mean is the one between the plastic frame and the actual double glazed unit itself ? The one I need to replace is on the external side the beading is on the internal side so the glazed unit would have to come out. The unit was fitted circa 2002 but I read that in some cases on modern units the seal on the external side of the frame is welded into the frame itself so it can't be replaced is this common ?

I need to replace them due to my girlfriends bloody cats deciding its fun to scratch it so the rubber seal is now very shredded at the bottom, I liked cats before this but one of hers is just so destructive they have done so much damage already and she and the cats only moved in with me 2 weeks ago.

ta

Sponsored Links
The cat is probably depressed/freaked out at having moved home. Seriously. They're often not good at coping with change!

I wish it was just the stress of the move but they have always scratched at the seals before they moved into mine, they did every window at my girlfriends. So far they have not done the internal side because I keep an eye on them, but when they are out during the day they do it on the external side back door, patio doors even though I had a cat flap installed :( I had my own cats years ago they were male nice and chilled nature but her cats are female and frigging mental hell bent on distruction. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ah well you're stuffed then! :p

Yeah I think I am :D , thing is I spent the last couple of years doing the house up myself, makes it hard seeing them wreck it in two weeks they have,

1. Got muddy paw prints up 3 x walls jumping onto window seals.
2. Scratched up oak window seals.
3. ****ed on the carpet x 2 (they used to do it occassionaly at hers to).
4. Ignored the 3 scratch posts we bought and prefer to use the oak fire surround I bought :(
5. Scratch the sofa (leather) again they used to do that at hers.
6. Scratching the rubber seals around windows.

I knew they were naughty but just thought gf had been too soft on them and I would be a bit stricter and could change them but obviously not. Sad thing is I either put up with (not sure I can to be honest) or thats the end of me the gf, Im sure she would take the cats over me :D

Aye, been there done that although it was her cat not mine, fortunately my missus was sensible and the poor little fella had to go. Strangely when I moved recently my cat started using one of those foam floor protectors for use under gym equipment etc as a scratching mat, may be worth a try. Bit disconcerting though when you can hear something being scratched to buggery out of sight!

You wait till you have kids, cats will seem like a walk in the park! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back