Replacing double glazed units in wooden frame.

8 Jun 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
:confused: Help :confused: I am preparing to replace my double glazed units after finding out that i can get the units for about 8% of the cost of replacing the entire window :D , However i am not the experienced DIYer and could use a step by step guide of how to knock out and fit back in, where to measure and what tolerance to allow so i don't have to rely on someone else coming out. A list of what i will need and how much i can expect to pay for them.
Sponsored Links
Tools required...

1/ Hacking out knife (to remove the putty)
2/ Hammer
3/ Wallpaper scraper or similar (to ease glass out) and to remove glazing beads if beaded
4/ Putty knife


1/ Replacement dgu's
2/ Bytul putty, do not use linseed if you want the new units to last more than a year, better still bed them on glazing silicone
3/ Panel pins

To measure....

Measure the opening and deduct 5mm of the width and height for the manufacture size

To fit...

Hack out putty using hacking out knife or use scraper to prize beads away if beaded, ease dgu outwards from inside with scraper, clean out remaining putty. Use new putty on rebates or clear silicone, push glass onto this and hold in place with pins if finishing with putty, otherwise replace beads using panel pins to secure.


Small units are quite cheap, bigger ones are more expensive
Thanks, very useful, What are your thoughts on butyl tape. Seems likely to be fiddly but potentialy less messy, or is putty the way to go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links