Replacing drains damaged by tree roots etc.

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we are trying to buy had blocked drains which the vendor paid to clear and then have CCTV inspection. The report has come back that there are three displaced joints, two circumferential fractures, a circumferential crack (probably the same thing?), two locations of root ingress, broken flaunching of the front inspection chamber and broken trap. Total length of drains is about 34m, they are 100mm clay pipes laid in circa 1938.

Would the experts here recommend total replacement as the faults are distributed throughout the length? Or should the displaced joints and fractures be ignored? I don't know that they are leaking into the subsoil-would this be likely? Obviously all the trees are going to go. In the long term an extension may be built to the back and therefore over the rear line.

Many thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
I think the sellers have been far too honest with you!

However, root ingress/crack/displacement is almost certainly going to cause leakage into the soil, and roots will almost certainly cause further blockage unless they are removed.

Leakage is probably of little relevance.

Tree roots will grow back every few weeks. So it will need regular cutting.

The usual thing will be to replace with plastic.

My quick calculation comes to about £1700 if its at a depth of about 800-1400mm but wuite a lot more if deeper as the sides will probably need to be shored up.

But if you can do it yourself then the materials will be about £450. But there is quite a lot of digging all depending on the depth.

Tony

I would advise you to replace, there seems to be a fair amount of problems, which as stated, is likely to lead to reoccurring blockages and therefore expense and inconvenience.

I would suggest you get several quotes though before committing to anything. Most reputable builders should be able to undertake this work and it will need the local Building Control Officer to inspect I think.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of that. Everything will get replaced, starting with the inspection chamber immediately as this was where the blockage occurred. I intend to do an extension so it seems logical to do that when a digger is in for footings anyway. I'm still waiting for an estimate of cost-hope your prediction is correct Agile cos I can (just) afford that! Thanks again.

My price suggestions were based on a sensible contractor's figures.

There are many builders who will look at the car on your drive and then look you up and down and then pitch in accordingly.

I always expect to get a price by quoting what is required over the phone. Those who can calculate the price from the details are likely to get the job.

My best example of this was a flat roof, I quoted the size and area and he gave me a price over the phone, I accepted and he came a couple of days later and was paid by my wife. He did a very nice job exactly as specified and for ther quoted price.

In these days of shortage of work a self employed JCB driver would probably do it all for about £1000. The prouble is knowing if he has the skills to do the pipework properly. Most have but you cannot assume that.

When I worked for the BBC their contractor quoted £4000 to build a small bridge over a stream. That was way too high so I arranged a local fellow to do it for £1200. I dont think our architects were very pleased with me for that but it did show up just how inflated some of their prices were.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back