Replacing fireplace lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id be getting a tradesman to do this work, but I just wanted to know what would be involved and how big a job it would be to replace the concrete lintel with a nice piece of timber such as oak?

Im getting this room replastered and when finished id like to have a wooden mantel piece sticking out of the wall, as per the photo below.

So should I be replacing the concrete lintel with a piece of timber, or should I just leave the lintel in place and just fix a piece of timber to the wall?

Heres the fireplace as it looks now...

IMG_6323_zpsd8f4ec9c.jpg

And how id like it to look...

mantel.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your image is something how mine looks.
I have 1040mm high x 940mm wide.

The height distance is taken from the hearth slab btw.
I'd remove the old lintel and fit a new concrete lintel.

And fit the mantel timber after rendering is finished using French cleats.
That way it won't leave gaping openings when it shrinks.

There seems to be a nice (cracked) stone lintel. Why not clean it up and plaster around it. tapering the plaster steeply back to the mortar line around the stone, say a 1" wide bevel. Just remove the bricks below it, they are not helping matters, they are just jammed in! Paint the bevel white to separate it from the stone and the wall decoration.
Frank

Why not clean up the debris and post a new pic showing in highlight the height and width dimensions needed by the manufacturer - and, if different, the dimensions that you want? Mfr's dim's will determine the basic opening.

Dont use timber to lintel the c/breast. If you were to install a large section lintel of oak then the upper brickwork might have to be propped by a couple of strong boys - but any advanced work should be done in conjunction with a HETAS.

Sponsored Links
There seems to be a nice (cracked) stone lintel. Why not clean it up and plaster around it. tapering the plaster steeply back to the mortar line around the stone, say a 1" wide bevel. Just remove the bricks below it, they are not helping matters, they are just jammed in! Paint the bevel white to separate it from the stone and the wall decoration.
Frank

Good idea, but the lintel appears to be concrete, not stone.

Im tempted to remove the surplus bricks and just fix a piece of timber to the wall to make it look like its a supporting lintel. If I do this, should it be fixed to the wall before plastering, or after?

I think you need to get the tape measure out.

If you want your installation looking like the image then I'll bet any money the head has to go.

And fit the woodwork afterwards. It will look crappy when it shrinks and leaves gaping openings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back