replacing fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of replacing an ugly 1930's style tiled fireplace with a cast iron Victorian one. The house is a Victorian terrace so the change should be an improvement.

If I get the current surround off will I also need to replace the firebricks etc inside the fireplace opening or can I simply fit a suitable cast iron surround?

Just trying to get to grips with how much work it would be.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Difficult to answer without seeing photos of what you have and what you intend to install.

FWIW: many 1930's era type tiles fireplaces are now highly admired for their design & as retro items, while most CI Victorian surrounds are reproductions .

If it's only for decoration then you can just fit the surround right away. But if it's going to be a working fireplace then it all gets complicated.

IMG_20161103_193125.jpg

here's an image of the current fire surround. A few of the tiles are missing/broken or loose. It's currently a working fire and the intention would be it keep it working

Sponsored Links
The present tiled surround is in excellent condition - those loose and cracked tiles are simple to source & replace.

A Victorian repro would roughly fit the builders opening but its possible that the lintel or the cheeks might have to be dropped/raised or widened? If the opening is changed then the fire back and throating would also have to be changed.

Changes to the hearth footprint might be needed - I cant make out what kind of flooring you have?
And re-plastering and decorating would, of course, also be needed.

Whatever you do, sweep the chimney - keep it clean for efficiency and safety.

Hi Vinn,

I've looked for replacement tiles without much success. I found a company that make 4" fireplace tiles but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I've looked on ebay and the like for used tiles but not found any. Is there anywhere that you would suggest looking?

google around - take detailed clear pics of the tile.
I think its called something like marblised or mottled oatmeal?
20thC tile company might help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back