Replacing floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a floating floor (about 20SqM) so that it can be tiled.

The current floor is 18mm T&G chipboard on 22mm polystyrene insulation. Between the chipboard and the polystyrene is a Damp Proof Membrane (poly sheet). The insulation sits directly on the concrete subtrate.

I was thinking of putting down bearers and noggins (1" x 2" tannelised) at 300mm centres then (after insulating the gaps) screwing down 18mm ply, with a DPM in between, and putting mastic in the screw holes to prevent compromising the DPM with the screws. I think this would work.

I am a little worried about lack of airflow under the boards, hence the use of tannelised bearers, but would it be better to put the DPM under the bearers, or use a liquid DPM? (I'ld prefer not to use a liquid DPM, as I need to seal it to the DPM in the next room at the door).

Any thoughts / ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back