Replacing floorboards and Insulating under floors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking about insulating under the floor boards in our bungalow.

Theres about a 12" void under there, and there are brick vents all around the outside. With the bare floorboards in the hallway and front room, it is very cold and i think the heating is on more than it really needs to be!

So i've been thinking about replacing a lot of the floor anyway, as they are in such a mess from previous owners taking them up, there are cuts/breaks all over the place and so noisy!

So my first question regards to the insulation…. Can i put rigid insulation boards between all the joists and then just board back on top, or do i need to have some kind of breather gap?
I understand the concept of cold and warm flat roofs, so i'm thinking there must be some kind of similarity here??

Secondly, with replacing the floor boards.

What best to use?
I would like to use boards rather than chipboard floor sheets, but what wood is best, and where from? I'd like to steer clear of the likes of wickes as i've heard their floorboards (along with most of their timber!) are bad quality.

Would it be good leaving a gap between every board joint, for expansion and to stop the creaking?
This is my biggest hate with floorboards!

Many thanks in advance for any input on this!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Search the forum for "insulating suspended floor". We have discussed experiences and techniques on several occasions.

Cheers
Richard

Hey guys and gals,

Would it be good leaving a gap between every board joint, for expansion and to stop the creaking?
This is my biggest hate with floorboards!

Many thanks in advance for any input on this!

Cheers
No - the boards will nede to be cramped . They shrink as they dry

The best thing to do is to fit them with a screw here and there. Then in 6 months time push them up tight and get in another board.
Creaking boards are caused by the boards warping upwards and pulling the nails loose/heads further into the wood. Use screws to sort out.
Frank

Sponsored Links
If you are worried about squeaks, then don't use something that might shrink or bend in use, as those are the biggest culprits.

Decent thickness T&G plywood is best.

Chipboard isn't actually that bad, but people often use chipboard that is 'just' thick enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back