Replacing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a run of 2 floorboards in my landing as the heating pipes have been laid in such a way that it is impossible to screw down the inside edges of the set of two. This is causing the inside edges to rise and creak when stepped on.

I originally tried laying 18mm external ply; however there was excessive flex. I’m now considering using 18 mm chipboard in the hope the flex will be reduced (wrongly in all likelihood).

Any suggestions would be welcome. There isn’t really any space to place noggins where the pipes are located.
Joists are approximately 230mm apart.

Thanks in advanced

Sponsored Links
Maybe two t&g boards glued together with the outer tongue planed off: if appearance is important, you could rout a v groove along the join

Blup

Just re read your post - if the problem is lack of support for the floorboard where the joist has been notched, consider using a steel mending plate recessed into the joist either side of the notch.

Blup

Sponsored Links
why not remove any boards an post pics of the piperun an notched joists - big picture an detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back