Replacing garage roof - building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I could really use some speedy advice on this.

I just bought a house, 1950's semi, and the garage roof was badly in need of urgent repair. It is pitched (only 15-20 degrees) against the house side, and covered with felt. It was leaking like a sieve and sagging so needed replacing urgently (especially seeing as the electric meter and consumer unit are out there).

I got an electrician to make the electrics safe, dismantled the roof and after extensive googling and asking around have just started building a replacement. However I am told I may need building regs approval - can anyone tell me if this is true, and what I'll need to do to pass? First time doing anything like this. The roof will look just the same as the other (except not ruined).

Stats: Garage 6.8m long along house side, eaves 2m, top of roof against house 2.7m. Am rebuilding with 4 x 2" wall plate and ridge beam, rafters 6 x 2" spacing 400mm. Securing wall plate to masonry with wall straps 1m long, and using birdmouth joints and truss clips. Covering with plywood and decent roofing felt, and flashing with lead. Expecting to replace with extension in 5-8 years.

The eaves of the garage are 1m from boundary of property, but is not over 2.5m high within 2m of the boundary (which is something which seems to crop up in regs when i google).

Advice would be hugely appreciated, and more info needed please let me know.

Cheers all

Dave

Sponsored Links
i have no idea, but it's a repair or like for like replacement and it will look the same so i see no issue

If you're proposing any structural alterations, then I would look at submitting a building regulation application. However, as it's all like-for-like, why not contact your local BCO and ask the question? They may say it's fine to just go ahead... which I think they might do. They're the ones who "could" take action against you if the works were deemed to be un-authorised so get in there first and ask them the question.

Cheers DD. I did speak to them on friday, and they said I would need to apply to them for approval - I told them I was only replacing the garage roof like-for-like (but with better materials), but apparently I still have to :(. It's not so much the cost that puts me off (£164 for the application), but the chance that I might have to take it down again if there's a box I haven't ticked somewhere.
I couldn't put the work off as the electrical consumer unit would be exposed, so have had to start and am half way through now. I've searched in vain for clear guidelines about exactly what specs I have to build to to meet regs, but can't find the info anywhere!
Not sure what to do, whether to keep my head down and just not mention it, or apply for approval and risk having to take it down. Either way is a bit of a gamble :(. Foolishly gave my name and road when I called, so if they're on the ball they might appear on my doorstep

Sponsored Links
As the BCO's are on a completely different (and a lot better) planet than the planners, speak to them and ask what they would like to see in terms of the building regulation requirements. There's no reason why you can't do it all under a Building Notice either, without the need in having full plans and spec's put together.

BCO's are always very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back