Replacing Honeywell R6660D with Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I recently purchased a Hive Active Heating to replace a Honeywell setup with a Valiant boiler.

I thought I would luck out and that the Honeywell receiver next to the boiler would have a compatible backplate to simplify the install.

Turns out my receiver is a Honeywell R6660D which is much larger than the single channel Hive receiver so it needs to be completely replaced. While inspecting the current receiver I have also noticed that it is wired to a power breaker as well as the boiler so the R6660D has more wires in it than I expected.

I have attached some pictures of the current wiring setup and hope that someone can point me in the right direction with regards to replacing the R6660D with Hive.

Thank you

Attachments

• Photo 10-12-2018, 11 32 28.jpg
    Photo 10-12-2018, 11 32 28.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • Photo 09-12-2018, 19 50 42.png
    Photo 09-12-2018, 19 50 42.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,881
Sponsored Links
As you have the Single Channel Hive, I assume that your Vaillant boiler is a combi boiler, so there is no stored hot water (hot water cylinder)

The R6660D is wired as below:

Capture.JPG

The wires are moved from the R6660D terminals to the Hive Single Channel Receiver terminals that have exactly the same function, including any links. Both of the R6660D L terminals are connected together so electrically speaking are the same, so, the wires in:

R6660D N = Hive N
R6660D L & L = Hive L
R6660D A = Hive (1) Common
R6660D B = Hive (3) Heating on

Earth wires connect to the earth tether.

Hive.png

It there is any existing on/off time control elsewhere, that should be set to be permanently 'on' 24/7 to stop it interfering with the operation of the Hive.

Hi Stem

Thank you for the reply.

You are correct in assuming that it is a combi boiler without a hot water cylinder.

The only other control for the heating is a Honeywell CM921 which will get decommissioned once the R6660D is replaced.

My only query is that you have said R6660D A = Hive (1) Common. My R6660D doesn't have anything in A. It is wired with wires in N L L B C E so should Hive (1) Common match up with R6660D C?

If you don't have anything in 'A' it won't be working now !

Look again carefully as there is an unused terminal before 'A'. The black wire is in 'A'

it.png

D & E are just terminals, for the convenience of the installer, they don't have any function inside the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Hi Stem,

I have similar enquiry as above, but the difference is that I also have a Danfoss single channel Timeswitch. So Valliant Ecotec pro boiler + R6660D + Danfoss Timeswitch.

I decided to connect the wires coming out of the R6660D into the Hive single channel receiver (replacing Danfoss plate). But the boiler is not switching off when I turn the Hive thermostat off, seems to work ok when I turn the hearing on and change the temperature with hive thermostat.

I've connected L and N from R6660D and Boiler to Hive's L and N, R6660D A to Hive common (1), and R6660D B to Hive (3) heating ON (picture below).

I've also linked Hive L with common (1).

I'm I doing something wrong? I'm not sure if I should keep the R6660D or just remove it completely to wire the boiler directly into Hive.

Something I noticed is that R6660D has wires on A and C (picture below), but you mentioned before it should be on A and B. This is the way I found it from the previous owner, not sure if that's correctly wired.

So in summary:
1) Is it ok to keep the R6660D + Hive using the wiring mentioned?
2) If so is the wiring in R6660D correct?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Victor

20190107_135557.jpg
20190107_135557.jpg
20190107_135557.jpg

Attachments

• 20190107_095807.jpg
    20190107_095807.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 436
Not too sure what's happened here without knowing what is connected to the other end of each of the wires. Terminal C normally only becomes live when the heating goes 'off' and I have never seen any with a connection made to 'C'

Electrically speaking, The R6660D is a simple on/off switch, and so is the Hive. That's all they do, switch the heating on or off. So assuming the R6660D was working as it should, then the wires that were at the R6660D move to the terminals at the Hive that have the same function:

The R6660D terminals are:
R6660D.JPG

R6660D (N) corresponds to Hive (N)
R6660D (L) corresponds to Hive (L)
R6660D (A) corresponds to Hive (1) Heating common
R6660D (B) corresponds to Hive (3) Heating on
R6660D (C) corresponds to Hive (2) Heating off

Hive.png

Note: If there wasn't originally a link between the R6660D (L) and (A) you won't need a link between Hive (L) and (1). If there was a link you do.

From memory I believe that the R6660D can be configured for controlling cooling systems. if so it's possible, that if yours was configured like this, you may find when installing the Hive that the heating works in reverse ie 'on' is actually 'off' and vice versa. If this happens it can easily be rectified.

But the first stage would be to swap the wiring from the R6660D 'like for like' as per the above connections.

As you are replacing the existing thermostat receiver, the Danfoss timeswitch will need to be set to be permanently 'on'

Thanks Stem,

I've removed both, the Timeswitch and the R6660D, and I've connected the boiler directly to Hive as per single channel diagram, pictures attached. It is still not working as it suppose to, and it's turning the boiler heating on when I turn the water hive control on.

I bought a heating + hot water Hive, and I'm not sure if I've should have bought the heating only hive instead, to work with a Vaillant ecotec plus boiler. Will that matter if I'm installing the boiler as single channel into a dual hive?

Regards,
Victor

Attachments

• 20190108_122817.jpg
    20190108_122817.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 954
  • 20190107_095325.jpg
    20190107_095325.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 416
Hi stem,
By reading other posts it's seems another 'buying the wrong thermostat case.

I've found an old post where you recommend switching the 'Heating On' (3) to Heating On (4) as per dual channel configuration, and leave the common (1) disconnected and insulated. Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for your help!

Single channel is for combi boilers without control of any stored hot water. Terminals (1) and (3) are the switching contacts

Dual channel is for heat only boilers with heating and hot water control. Terminal (4) is the live to switching the heating 'on' [dual channel doesn't have a 'Com']

Ironically, I normally check first that the OP has the correct version of the Hive, but as you had wired it up with the link between (L) and (1) which is only applicable to the single channel version, I didn't ask.

Of course none of that explains the mystery use of the 'C' terminal at the R6660D

Thanks Stem,

After removing the R6660D it actually had cables on A and B, so mistery solved.

Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back