Replacing Honeywell t40 with tado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to replace my honeywell T40 thermostat with a new tado - but am confused by the wiring (which seems different to everyone else with the similar question).
I've attached a photograph of the T40 wires. Can anyone help with where they are to go in the tado?
thanks
20180105_142054.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi DamagedBob and welcome to the forum.

You don't post details of your Tado, so I have assumed it follows the usual convention below. You don't mention hot water control so I assume that you have a combi boiler and don't have a hot water cylinder requiring hot water control that would require the Extension Box.

Capture.JPG

If so:

Honeywell terminal 1 = Live = Tado 'Com'
Honeywell terminal 3 = Switched Live = Tado 'NO'
Honeywell terminal 2 = Neutral = Tado doesn't use this. Put it in one of the insulated parking slots.
Honeywell earth. Also put in another insulated parking slot

Any existing time control that you have should be set to be 'on' permanently otherwise it will override the Tado.

If your Tado is another version and different, post back details of what you have.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. It is much appreciated. I will update the thread with how I get on.

Hi Stem or anyone listening, came across this thread when trying to wire my Tado. It's the same thermostat but it's used to control the underfloor heating. (See attached picture). I tried the above but it didn't work so I think I need to use the NC as well? Attached is how my current Honeywell is wired. Thanks for any help! I'm keen to get this puppy working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-31 Photo - Google Photos.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-31 Photo - Google Photos.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 687
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what your question is, but from your photo

1 = Live
2= Neutral
3= Switched Live
Earth = Earth

Thanks Stem, my question was do I need to write the Tado differently? I attached Com and No as you suggested, and parked the other terminals but the thermostat didn’t work. The thermostat is attached to an actuator because it’s underfloor so I’m wondering if it requires a different wiring format, perhaps using NC?

Sorry, bit of a numpty question I’m sure, but there aren’t any instructions on tado for my setup at the moment.

Happy new year!

You won't need to use NC. From an electrical point of view, the existing thermostat is just a simple on / off switch and the Tado is exactly the same you are simply swapping one switch for another.

If your Tado product is exactly the same as DamagedBob's, then:

The brown wire in Honeywell 1 should have gone to Tado 'Com'
The black wire with the brown sleeve in Honeywell 3 should have gone in Tado 'NO'

There are various Tado products. As well as the 'switch' some require a Live & Neutral connection to power them and some are battery operated. If you can post the specific details of your Tado product, I will have a look in more detail when I get home later.

Hi Stem, I found out the issue, your wiring advice was bang on, the issue turned out to be how the tado had been configured. All works well now. Thanks for the help, it was appreciated.

Philbird,

I have the same issue, what did you do
to resolve it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back