Replacing kitchen light switch (think it's double pole)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've got a 3 gang modular light switch in my kitchen and one of the switches has broken. Unfortunately they don't sell the modules anymore so I need to replace all 3.

It seems that the existing switches are as follows: 2x 2-way and one double pole. The 2x 2-way make sense (even though only one is used as a 2-way and the other is 1-way) but I wasn't expecting the double pole since it only seems to control one set of kitchen lights. I bought 3x 2-way switches to replace but I'm having trouble working out how to transfer the double pole to the new 2-way switch.

This is the rear of the existing switch:
IMG_7381.jpeg

And this is the replacement:

IMG_7382.jpeg

Does any one have any suggestions please?

For additional context:
Switch 1: Main kitchen diner lights. 2-way with another switch elsewhere in the room. Simple replacement with new switch.
Switch 2: Kitchen cabinet lights. 1-way. Simple replacement with new switch.
Switch 3: The broken switch. Seems to be double pole but it only controls 3 additional kitchen lights and only 1-way

IMG_7337.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As it is only lights. I'd need to see the wires to be sure, but I guess that you have 2 red/brown and 2 black/blue wires.??

If so, Put the two black/blue wires in the loop terminal. Then one brown/red in COM and the other in the 1-WAY terminal.

That should do it.

Thanks for your reply. Here's a picture if that's helpful (very tricky to get a good angle behind there!).

Is it safe to swap a double pole for single pole in some instances? I'm trying to work out why it would have been double pole in the first place so not sure if I'm missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpg
    IMG_7166.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 41
Ah. It looks like the blue wires (neutrals) are already separate.

It would need a bit of investigating to be sure, but it looks like there are two separate things being switched by that switch.
At the top, it looks like a live comes in to IN2 and then is looped to the switch next to it. OUT2 obviously goes off to something, you could disconnect the OUT2 wire and see what doesnt now work.
OUT1 at the bottom seems to be a switched live from, or to something and that switches on to IN2.
You could do some investigating, by disconnecting the OUT wirs one at a time and see what bstops working. That may make sense of it.
Maybe a fan, or another light, under cupboard maybe?

Otherwise, it may be easier to but a matching DP switch.

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thanks so much for your help and suggestions. I can't for the life of me see what else is being switched so I've just bought a matching DP switch so I don't go breaking anything.

Thanks again!

Hi again @Taylortwocities. So I just received my DP switch. I was hoping for a straight swap out but this is labelled completely differently than the previous switch. Do you have any suggestions for how I might port IN1, IN2, OUT1, OUT2 over to N, L Load, DP N, Supply L please? Many thanks

IMG_7390.jpeg

That worked an absolute charm! Lights are all back and working as before. Thanks so much for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back