Replacing master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a BT master socket in my hall (2 piece unit - 12 months old) and have bought a replacement chrome unit. The new unit has terminals numbered 1 - 6. The original has terminals numbered 2 - 5. The box behind (BT property?) has just 2 terminals. Can anybody advise me on how to connect up please?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Is this a master socket or a slave? has it got a capicitor in ........if it has got a capicitor just connect terminals 2 and 5 ,if it has not a got a capicitor in you will get dial tone but it will not ring unless you have got a dsl filter in

what is wroing with using the
icon_edit.gif
button

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for prompt reply. On the BT master socket, it is wired as follows;

Terminal 2 - 2 x Blue, Terminal 3 - 2 x Orange, Terminal 4 - Empty, Terminal 5 - 2 x White/Blue and on the fixed part of the box are 2 terminals A & B.
My new master socket has terminals 1 - 6??
What does the capacitor look like?

Gary.

Hi, so where do the feed wires (A & B) and the wires in terminals 2,3 & 5 connect on my new unit with terminals 1 - 6 ?

Gary.

The wires on terminals A and B should stay on terminals A and B.

The NTE5 is part of the service provider's plant. It provides the test point at the end of their line, a bit like your tizzy and gas meters. The service provider may start getting aeriated if you remove it.

If someone (not necessarily yourself, maybe your great aunt Maud, who has been trying to phone you) rings the operator to ask why nobody answers your phone, the line may get tested (automatically, quite often). If the tester cannot 'see' the test point on the end of the line an engineer may be sent out. He may then present you with the bill for the callout because you have removed the nice shiny plastic NTE from their line.

Best bet is to move the NTE somewhere out of the way, and run a cable from the NTE front plate to your socket. Ignore terminals 1 & 6. Connect 2-2, 3-3, 4-4 and 5-5.

Thanks for that TicklyT,
If i hide the NTE, which has the A & B connected as well as the 2,3 & 5 for secondary unit upstairs, and fit the new chrome master in its place, do i just connect one more of each colour cable into 2,3 & 5 on NTE and then run cable to 2,3 & 5 on chrome unit?

Gary.

Yes, that should do it. Or you could connect the upstairs socket to your new socket, and the new socket to the NTE.

Outlets can be star wired from one point (providing there's room for all the wires in the terminals) or daisy chained from each other.

As long as terminals with the same numbers are linked it should work.

breezer

United Kingdom
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:19 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is wroing with using the button

:D :D :D Who,s checking the checker then......I will use the edit button if you use the spellcheck :D :D :D

i do (some times) unfortunately i spelt it wrong, the spell checker highlighted it and in my error i told it to accept it :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back