Telephone Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I've got one BT master socket at present, and want to add two new ones.

I've bought the 4 core cable, IDC tool and two extension sockets (each with 6 numbered terminals at the rear of the face plate, numbered 1 to 6).

The master BT socket is (I think) a NTE5 type. The bottom half of the faceplate comes off first, and has terminals 5, 4, 3, and 2.

I want to hard-wire a cable into the master, taking it to a point 2m away. I then want to join two new cables to the one from the master socket (by way of terminal blocks) to go to my two new extension points.

First up - does that sound OK?

Secondly, I'd be grateful if you'd advise which terminal to join to which.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post - wanted to make sure you had all the info.

Many thanks, Eddie.

Sponsored Links
Do you also have broadband? It *can* make a difference.

For a neat install, you should use terminals 2+5 and 3+4. Assuming you have CW1308 cable...

Blue with white bands to 2
White with blue bands to 5
Orange with white bands to 3
White with orange bands to 4

Many will say miss 4. It is unused (true). But for a neat install, whack it in place.

If you are using non standard CW1308, or using flat line cord type cable (yukky!), then use which ever colours come naturally to you, aslong as you keep 2-2, 5-5 etc.

If you do have broadband, carry on as above, but there is a small chance you will loose broadband, in which case we then need to alter the connections slighty by completely doing away with the 3+4 connections.

Lectrician - thanks for your speedy reply!

I do have broadband.

Just to be clear, I connect terminal 2 of my extensions to terminal 2 of the master. Terminal 5 of my externsions to terminal 5 of my master - and so on?

I am using CW1308 so will connect as advised.

Regarding the broadband - in mind of a possible problem, why wouldn't I just not connect 3 and 4 from the outset? (I don't doubt there's a good reason!)

Cheers - Eddie.

There's a seperate Forum section for this.

Many will say miss 4. It is unused (true). But for a neat install, whack it in place.

Not true, 4 is for earth recall PABX systems (office phones). Yes- time break is popular as the call transfer signal (to transfer a call on a plain ordinary telephone- POT), but 4 still has it's uses.From the master run to socket A and then run another cable from socket A to socket B.

A BT master (on the bit your NOT to terminate on) will be a 1 pair service on pins 2 and 5.

On the CTE (customer termination equipment) side you terminate 2, 5 and 3- repeat this at everypoint including 2 cables at the socket A.

Sponsored Links
You are correct, 2-2 5-5 etc.

If you connect all 4 cores, if your broadband then fails to work, simply disconnect the 3+4 at the master end only.

The 3 provides ring current required by bog standard phones to ring. This is not needed with broadband, as the filters you use incorporate a ring circuit. Having the ringer connected can cause problems with broadband on long line lengths and poor quality lines as the ringer core acts as an aerial as it is out of balance with the line, it picks up interference and knocks the broadband out.

I would connect all terminals as described above, and see if it works. This will keep the line and extensions ready for if ever broadband is removed (as you would then need the ringer).

There's a seperate Forum section for this.

Not true, 4 is for earth recall PABX systems (office phones). Yes- time break is popular as the call transfer signal (to transfer a call on a plain ordinary telephone- POT), but 4 still has it's uses.From the master run to socket A and then run another cable from socket A to socket B.

A BT master (on the bit your NOT to terminate on) will be a 1 pair service on pins 2 and 5.

On the CTE (customer termination equipment) side you terminate 2, 5 and 3- repeat this at everypoint including 2 cables at the socket A.

AND THIS IS A STANDARD PSTN LINE NOT
AN OFFICE PHONE SYSTEM OF ANY KIND!

Earth recall has also long gone. PBX's that still use earth recall are skip worthy. They are from the 60's!

PBX's use either a single pair which could be presented to ANY pair of terminals of a SECONDARY socket for voice and data AND screens, these systems connot use normal phones.

OR they are HYBRID PBX's, able to use featurephones designed for the systems, or STANDARD LINE TELEPHONES designed primarily for PSTN lines, and these use 2+5 for voice, and EITHER 1+6 for the DATA (UK models), using 3 as the ringer via a cap, or for imported US versions (panas etc), use 2+4 for data and MUST use SECONDARY points.

Chri5 - It has long been the BT spec to terminate terminal 4 on extension wiring. It may serve no purpose as such on PSTN lines, but should be terminated anyway. You are dishing out confusing advice.

I am very converse with datacomms. I install many PBX's, and deal with many line issues.

2j2uww7.png

NOTE THE TEXT ON THE RIGHT OF THIS PIC!

Earth recall :rolleyes: Your going back to the days of party lines :LOL:

I would ammend or delete your incorrect info above Chri5 - Why confuse folk with earth recall when this is a domestic forum, and this is obviously (as he mentions NTE5a), that this is a domestic PSTN line.

Lectrician - thanks very much for your time and effort replying. I owe you a drink! :D

Dangerous assumption being made in a few threads-NOT all ADSL filters have the ring capacitor in. Cheap versions simply pass the ring wire(3)on from the socket being used. It's good practice to replace the lower half of the NTE5(A) with the latest version as that contains a bell wire filter(increases in BB speed if you have extensions!) or replace the lower half with a centralised filtered faceplate as that does the same job. A lot of people have been simply disconnecting the ring wire which is fine if you have decent ADSL filters but causes problems when you move and someone who doesn't have/want BB moves in and their old phones no longer ring!

Latest version NTE5:-http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketmasterNTE5.html

What the filter does :-http://www.bttorj45.com/iplate.html

Centralised filter:-http://www.bttorj45.com/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate.html

Centralised filter IF your modem/router plungs into an extension :-http://www.bttorj45.com/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate6way.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back