Adding new telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I with ntl and want to add a new telephone socket from the master socket.
The master socket has a removal lower part with the terminals 2,3,4,5
The new extension socket has terminals 1,2,3,4,5,6
Do i just connect terminal 2 of the master socket to terminal 2 of the extension socket and so on, terminal 3 to terminal 3 4 to 4 and 5 to 5
Also can you get an electric shock from the telephone wire?
Is it also possible to you course a short circuit?

Sponsored Links
yes just connect 2 to 2 3 to 3 etc, strictly speaking these days you only need 2 and 5 connected. the voltage across the the line on terminals 2 and 5 is only approx 50V dc and 70V ac when ringing. if you short it it wont work

Connect 3 too, as it is a ringer wire, unless your extension socket is a master.

Your extension should not be a master socket. This can cause issues with ADSL and line tests.

You should connect through 2/5 and 3/4. Although terminal 4 plays no use on a PSTN line, it should be connected to terminate the unused core of the pair which should not be used for anything else, so best terminated.

You should always connect the ringer through - many phones these days STILL require it. Many phones no longer require it, but many do, including new ones.

ADSL can be affected by having the ringer connected, and this can be solved by disconnecting it at the master socket only (this is considered a bodge, but works). You should fit an iPlate or have the NTE5a master socket replaced with a modern one with bell cct filter built in if you find ADSL is affected.

Make sure you use a pair for 2/5 and a pair for 3/4. Thats Blue/White White/Blue and Orange/White White/Orange.

Sponsored Links
By the statement below do you mean that i should use two cores for 2 and 5 and two cores for 3 and 4
How many cores are their in telephone wire?

Make sure you use a pair for 2/5 and a pair for 3/4. Thats Blue/White White/Blue and Orange/White White/Orange.

a_bt_master_socket_and_ext_wiring.gif

blue/white & white/blue are one pair (two cores) and orange/white & white/orange are another.

There is also green/whites, brown/whites, grey/whites before the base colour changes.

It's available in 2, 3, 4, 5, pair upwards.

Also can you get an electric shock from the telephone wire?
Is it also possible to you course a short circuit?

If the master is an NTE5 then you pull out the bottom portion hence your wiring is completely isolated.

As Lectrician mentioned in a previous post 2/5 uses two pairs of cores and so does 3/4.
So that 8 single cores in total
So i am going to need a cable which has more then 8 cores Am i correct in my thinking?
Will it still work if i only use single cores for 2/5 and 3/4?

Thanks i had a look at that website.

As Lectrician mentioned in a previous post 2/5 uses two pairs of cores and so does 3/4.
So that 8 single cores.
Am correct is thinking that i am going to need more then 8 core cable?
or am i misreading his post?

Is it possible to use single cores for 2/5 and 3/4

Also the master socket already has one extension from it are the terminal big enough to that another extension?

Thanks i had a look at that website.

So that 8 single cores.
Am correct is thinking that i am going to need more then 8 core cable?
or am i misreading his post?
You are misreading.
2 & 5 use ONE pair of wires (normally the blue & white pair), 3 & 4 use a second pair (normally the orange & white pair).

The punchdown terminals will take two wires - so you can take two runs of cable off to different sockets. Also, do yourself a favour and get a punchdown tool (even if it's only a cheap plastic one, though they only do a few wires before they're worn out). Pushing the wires in with a screwdriver is a good way to f**k up the terminals.

You need 4 core, it will have blue, white blue, orange, white orange.

In the master socket do:
2: Blue
3: Orange
4: Blank
5: White Blue

In the extension do the same:
2: Blue
3: Orange
4: Blank
5: White Blue

White orange is not used - 90% of the time it wont matter if you put it into 4 but sometimes it confuses old fax machines etc.

The punch down connectors in the master are designed for two cables but will take 3 at a push - you will be fine.

Get a punch down tool like thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=03W3JEPZAZ2AKCJVAFEE if you can. These ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-Plastic-IDC-insertion-tool/dp/B000LXPLTG/ref=pd_sim_ce_63 will work as well but not as nice.

Dont use a screw driver!

If when your taking apart the master socket to run the new cable in the NTL side gets disconnected from the back of the face plate its usually:
A=white blue
B=blue white
A and B maybe called 1 and 2 depending on the age of the master socket. Try and avoid disturbing these if you have too though!

As for electric shocks best thing to do is to make sure that the you have the face plate removed when you work, although the voltages are low.

Once its all connected up and you have it working that magic moment when you get dial tone on an extension is great![/i]

Done
Allot easer then I though, running the cable took the longest time.
When i connected the extension it was dead to begin with, one of the wires didn't connect correctly.
When i heard to dial tone i was over the moon/
Thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back