Replacing misted double glazing units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a few posts but as they're all rather old thought I'd try and get an update.

We have three misted/blown double glazed panes to replace. Does anyone have any online companies to recommend?

Is it more expensive to go to a physical glazing supplier? I feel a bit nervous about the measurements. How do I know the glass thickness? I imagine this is very important to get right, otherwise the whole unit will be thicker or thinner.

Is it really a job for a basic DIYer? I'm happy to pay someone but need to know they're suitably qualified and insured and might be hard to find someone who only fits.

I live in the south London/inner Kent area if anyone knows a reliable fitter.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a few posts but as they're all rather old thought I'd try and get an update.

We have three misted/blown double glazed panes to replace. Does anyone have any online companies to recommend?

Is it more expensive to go to a physical glazing supplier? I feel a bit nervous about the measurements. How do I know the glass thickness? I imagine this is very important to get right, otherwise the whole unit will be thicker or thinner.

Is it really a job for a basic DIYer? I'm happy to pay someone but need to know they're suitably qualified and insured and might be hard to find someone who only fits.

I live in the south London/inner Kent area if anyone knows a reliable fitter.

Upvc, timber or......?

Upstairs or down.....

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
There will be a local installer who makes his living out of swapping misted units in plastic windows and patio doors. You might not have noticed him because he doesn't advertise in the Sunday papers or on TV, but there will be one. Probably several. Ask you neighbours who they've used and choose by personal recommendation. It's a constant, mostly straightforward job. Look out for vans signwritten "Fred the windowman" or "patio door repairs"

My window cleaner suggested someone.

I pay less than £50 on average. The experienced fitter measured my old ones and ordered them to fit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is very easy. About the thickness. You are right. There is number of different sizes 4/10/4, 4/12/4, 4/16/4 etc. The only way to check this is take the sealed unit out. Simply take of the beading around the glazing and and glazing off. That way you'll be able to get exact thickness and dimensions. You can easily order online.
This is a bit scary as we'll either have to try and put it back or leave the house unsecured with a plastic covered window frame while we wait for the replacements.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There will be a local installer who makes his living out of swapping misted units in plastic windows and patio doors. You might not have noticed him because he doesn't advertise in the Sunday papers or on TV, but there will be one. Probably several. Ask you neighbours who they've used and choose by personal recommendation. It's a constant, mostly straightforward job. Look out for vans signwritten "Fred the windowman" or "patio door repairs"

My window cleaner suggested someone.

I pay less than £50 on average. The experienced fitter measured my old ones and ordered them to fit.
I've now put out an email to a few companies on Checkatrade so will see how much they quote.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A advertising website where traders pay to be listed is the opposite of personal recommendation.
I don't have any friends or neighbours to ask that have had these so will need to use online advertisers, Yellow Pages etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try the Misted Window Company based in Petts Wood if that is local enough to you. Ian Denney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To put it back is as easy as take it out. After you take the beads out the unit is actually loose. Only the packers hold it on. Really nothing to be scary.
Our windows don't have uPVC beading, they have either thin black rubber or foam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use Martsbuild they are in Bexly, will visit all surrounding areas and can supply or supply and fit , will come out a measure for you .

Sponsored Links