Replacing mortar in damp cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a 1880's house built from brick and stone with a small, quite damp cellar. I noticed that at low level on the wall adjoining next door, the mortar is very soft in one place. I scraped it out and around the bottom course of bricks for the length of 18 inches or so there is now practically no mortar at all and I can push a metal rod upto about 10 inches deep into the wall in places. The mortar also came out in the course or two above but in a smaller patch. The mortar I scaped out was like mud and seemed to be wetter the deeper I scraped. I'm not sure how to replace the mortar as if I put new mortar in I think it won't set properly as the wall is permanently damp. Also, would I be better off leaving it altogether so that any damp behind the wall can escape? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
damp does not prevent cement from setting. However it does stop lime hardening. Your old house was probably built with lime mortar, not sand and cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back