replacing old 22mm 3/4 Rad valves for 15mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a house which hasn't been lived in for a few years and as I start to use stuff again it is tending to break/leak. The house is 1960's and has a Copperad Wallstrip in the living room. I can't seem to find much at all about these except some old posters from Back when they were being produced -

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 15.03.59.png

It seems to be pretty effective as now i've had to turn it off due to the leaking valve its Damn cold downstairs. Its basically a 22mm pipe which runs around two walls of the living room with Fins all the way a long encased in a housing. It has 22mm 3/4 valves at either end. I've been trying to get a plumber out to do do a few jobs and a couple have suggested replacing the valves for standard 15mm valves. Is this ok? Won't it stem the flow? The've suggested the same for the rad Linked to the hot water circuit in the bathroom which is also on 22mm(or more likely imperial) pipe/valves.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what valves it needs, there may be alternative replacements for them. A pic of the leaking valve may help

From what I can tell just a 22mm 3/4 ? Looks like they are easily enough available just in every plumbers merchants

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 15.22.45.png

possibly 22mm, the issue is if the flow and return are 3/4". It will probably be a 3/4" union onto the tail.

You will certain get a 22mm pipe end with a 3/4" union set of rad valves no bother. Just need to measure the diameter of the pipe. If it is 22mm then I'd keep it that way to maximise flow

Sponsored Links
Where are your current valves leaking from? If it's the gland then the valve can be given a running repair to stop it leaking and as long as it's set and then left alone it will stay dry.

Turn the valve fully down then loosen the gland nut and draw it up the spindle. You want to replace the packing in that gap so give it about half a dozen wraps of PTFE tape and then run the gland nut back down. Use a little silicone grease to loosen up the spindle so it doesn't grind against the new packing and nip it back up. Should be leak free.

One thing you need to be careful, the compression coupler that those valves use don't always use a standard shaped olive they sometimes use a specific shaped olive, the 22mm>3/4" olives may not suit, best to check first.

Thanks guys some good info, i'll check on the olive thing before ordering. I think its leaking around the spindle from memory but i'll check and try a temp repair.

Just back on this... Does anyone know of a company that makes 22mm 3/4" angled valves? The Peglar one above does require a special olive so I can't replace for an imperial. I did measure the pipe coming up from the floor with a set of Lidls digital calipers (not to be relied on!) and it did read very close to 22mm so it might hopefully be 22mm. However most of the system is 3/4" pipe so Its hard to know until I can get an olive over the top.

3/4" pipe will measure 19mm so if it's as close to 22mm as damn it then it will probably be 22mm

Don't forget you really don't need to go fancy, if it's a 22mm valve with a 3/4" union then you'll be fine.

I would imagine you've already done it, but if not, can I suggest you remove the skirting cover plates and dust/wash the radiator fins. These develop thick layers of dust over time which greatly reduces their heat output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back