Replacing old ceramic hob with new induction hob

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
My elderly mum is moving into a warden-assisted flat and the kitchen has a broken worktop which we want to get replaced. It's got a ceramic hob in it which we think is safer to place with an induction hob.

Question is, what kind of trade do I need to find? Kitchen fitter? Chippie?
Do they need to be qualified for electrics, or might the new hob plug into a socket that the ceramic hob now uses?

I'd go and have a look but it's a three hour drive away, the warden who looks after the flats is away for a week.

Many thanks

Min

Sponsored Links
Who ever does the electrical part of the installation needs to be competent enough to know what the requirements for your new hob would be. Your supplier should be able to tell you ratings before you purchase a new one. You then need to know if the existing supply meets those requirements. you give no details of the current hob but I am surprised when you say it is plugged into a 13A socket ( if that is what you are meaning ). I would have thought it would need a dedicated circuit. So perhaps an electrician should be your first choice as it may be more complicated than you hope.

I am surprised when you say it is plugged into a 13A socket ( if that is what you are meaning ). I would have thought it would need a dedicated circuit
There are some 13A induction hobs available, listed as 'plug in hobs', or 'plug and go hobs' - i.e.

The power management involved may make them very slow to heat food if you were regularly using all four zones. However, for an elderly relative that may not be an issue.

If it were such a plug in hob, then an electrician wouldn't be needed to install it. Although checking the socket for signs of overheating, may be prudent!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Min
There are some 13A induction hobs available, listed as 'plug in hobs', or 'plug and go hobs' - i.e.

The power management involved may make them very slow to heat food if you were regularly using all four zones. However, for an elderly relative that may not be an issue.

If it were such a plug in hob, then an electrician wouldn't be needed to install it. Although checking the socket for signs of overheating, may be prudent!
My son - family of 4 - has such a plug in 4-burner induction hob and manages very well indeed with it. No complaints from him and we've been in kitchen while he uses that, two ovens and his favourite Ninja all at the same time to prepare meals.

As a retired couple and with a dedicated 32A supply my 4-burner induction hob is overkill, but even that can be current limited down to 13 Amp max during installation if required.

New pans are likely to be required with magnetic bases for Induction... Ikea do some very good very inexpensive ones.

I'm not sure Induction is any safer than Ceramic hobs? Both have glass tops.
(Induction may cool down a bit quicker and certainly will not remain heating when a pot is removed?)
Induction hobs have warnings about proximity to Pacemakers and other medical implants... so may be more dangerous?

If it's a plug in job. Handyman/Kitchen fitter/Joiner type will do. Finding a good one non-local will be the difficult bit. Examination of the socket and plug on old hob is very sensible advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back