Replacing old drain gulley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of prepping for a new patio and I'm wanting to get rid of 3 of these old gulleys at the back of the house.

Is it just a case of chipping out all of the old concrete to expose just the pipe and then fit a new hopper to that?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_102328168.jpg
    PXL_20230206_102328168.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
What are you replacing it with?
When you go banging out the brickwork and concrete surround it's possible to crack the existing clay part so be wary of that

You will have to dig it out. Most likely it will be cracked, broken and leaking. After removing the broken parts you can replace with plastic. You may find damage from an old leak, especially if your house was built with lime mortar or has shallow foundations, though your house looks fairly modern so should be OK. Apart from the spade work, it is not hard.

Remember the new paving must be at least two bricks below the DPC and your airbricks must be clear.

Thanks, have you got a link to something that would work for replacing it with?

Sponsored Links
You'll know more once you have dug it out and seen what you're dealing with. Working with clay, you often remove one piece, and find the next piece is also damaged.

Probably a connector collar for the pipe, an extension pipe piece for correct height, a trap, and a gulley (may be combined). They just fit together. The soil pipe will connect into it somehow so you might want to add a "manhole" chamber that can accept multiple inlets.

Dig back and expose the outgoing drain, and see what you're dealing with. Not sure if that's a Soil Stack or rainwater downpipe adjacent to the gully, if a soil stack, it'll nee to remain on a direct connection to the drain, so factor that in. However, once you've found a decent section of clay pipe, (provided it's not encased in concrete....), cutting through it is easy enough with an angle grinder, suitable clay to plastic adaptor, and work back in plastic. Bottle gully would be ideal, use raising pieces to set finished grid height to suit new patio. Wastes can be rejigged to go through the grid or into a back inlet.

Cheers everyone, appreciate the advice! I'll dig it back and see what I'm dealing with. It's all new to me but I'm keen to give most things a go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back