Replacing old floorboards - screw or nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a few problems with pipes/plumbing etc, I lifted the carpet up and noticed that most of hte floorboards were either woodwormed or rotten etc due to the water damage. I intend to get some reclaimed floorboards and replace the old, and then sand and stain.

Is it advisable to screw the boards down or nail them? does wood filler really match the colour of the wood, or if I use screws would it look like a whole load of spots on the floor once the screw heads are filled.

Also, is there any advice for filling the gaps between boards to prevent drafts etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
screw them down, nails can become loose over time

try a search regarding gaps, some say sawdust and pva, others say "string" problem is it has to stay put

Thanks,

would you screw at every joist? or just every other etc, ensuring the ends are always screwed down?

any recommendations for wood filler to cover the sunk screw heads?

Sponsored Links
thanks,

promise this is the last question...!... what size wood screws are advisable for the job?

3 x the thickness of the timber, eg: 20mm floor timber thickness will need 60mm length screw or there about ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back