Is it okay to nail gun floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, joiner was asked to put floorboards right after plumber ripped them up. He has screwed them down and then for some reason, nail gunned them, and this has split the wood. Is it normal to nail the floorboards over pipes and wires? He put down 5" ply to match up to 3" boards so that they don't collapse over the pipes.

Sponsored Links
you can buy nail guns for flooring, so yes, it's acceptable.

However nailing and screwing is not normal, and if it's split the wood as you say, why not go bash him over the head about it.

you can buy nail guns for flooring, so yes, it's acceptable.

However nailing and screwing is not normal, and if it's split the wood as you say, why not go bash him over the head about it.

Because he may bash me back? He answers to the boss of the loft conversion company that employs him who is an ex joiner himself so I have taken pictures and will e-mail them to him for his reaction..... I am really sick of this project now to the point where I wish we hadn't bought the house.
Thanks for your reply. :cry:

3" boards, George.....some type of hardwood flooring?
As for screwing and nailing - whats that all about? Screws are so much more suitable should you want to access the void beneath the floor at any time in the future.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Im not a joiner but it seems to me a lot of soft wood nowadays splits and warps easier than years ago.
Even what are known as floorboard nails sometimes split the wood and these nails seem a lot are thinner now than in the past.
Though no excuse and after the first split he should have reveiwed the matter before splitting more.
I would have thought nailguns fire in so fast that it would be less likely to split the wood than manual nailing.
I tend to pilot drill and screw boards at home whether right or wrong i dont know, but id rather that than split wood.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with this project and hope it all works out
Oh, just reread is it plywood thats split :?:

Yes, a real class act, George.....I presume carpets are the way forward now!
I think he's actually used softwood rather than ply for the 'repairs'.

Yes, a real class act, George.....I presume carpets are the way forward now!
I think he's actually used softwood rather than ply for the 'repairs'.

i am beginning to feel a right burk using this company.... my legs have gone weak. As Bette Davis once said "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride"

Do you know, this guy actually hung the bathroom door beautifully. I mean, he's done things on this job which seemingly have been absolutely fine, so why oh why oh why does a "tradesman" do some jobs fine and then go and do this? Has anyone experienced that before? It's been very weird.... and I need something to steady my nerves ....... it all seems like a dream and it just doesn't add up.

because he thinks they will be covered by carpets,and WHAT THE EYE CANT SEE......
personally after having 1 piece split then he shouldve either pilot drilled for the screws or blunted the end of the nail and hand nailed them in rather then using a gun.

Did he charge you much to do it George?
I've repaired loads over the years before putting plywood over the top. I do screw them down as my nail gun only has 22mm nails which I use in the plywood above.
If he's just done a quick repair and not charged much that's what you might get. A rushed job.

because he thinks they will be covered by carpets,and WHAT THE EYE CANT SEE......
personally after having 1 piece split then he shouldve either pilot drilled for the screws or blunted the end of the nail and hand nailed them in rather then using a gun.

We just went through photos of the house taken today and he's put screws in the stairs where they needed strengthening as there was a cracking sound on them and that looks fine. All neat and no worries - so why he's then done that on the floorboards.... I ... just .... don't ..... know. I am getting so bored with finding things like this all. ... over .... the .... house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back