Sanding floorboards: how to deal with brad nails and screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum :) I am DIY newbie, just bought a house and trying to do everything myself. I have worn pine floorboards in most of the rooms which I want to sand and varnish. I have read all available information on the preparation of the floorboards, i.e. put nails deeper with nail punch etc. My problem is: the floor has a lot of screws (heads exposing) and brad nails (leveled with the floorboards). How do I nail them 2-3mm down? Brad nails seem very hard to manage in general, and screws look stuck, but maybe they are not?
Please help!

Sponsored Links
nails = nail punch.. sink em into the wood..

screws = remove end use a countersink and sink them into the wood a bit..

well you really answered your own question,you know what you have to do,
maybe with the screws you can take them out?with the nails usea bloody big punch.

Sponsored Links
nails = nail punch.. sink em into the wood..

screws = remove end use a countersink and sink them into the wood a bit..

with brad nails not that easy... the head is wide and thick and it is a big problem to do it with nail punch. Unless there is shaped nail punch somewhere which I don't know about.

Re screws, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back