Glue and nail floorboards or just nail? Or screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have lifted the 1930's pine floorboards from my house. I plan to insulate underneath them and then re-lay and sand.

Should I:
1. Glue and nail them down
2. Just nail them down
3. Screw and glue
4. Just screw

Worried about squeeky floor boards.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
T&G or square edge? I've worked on nailed Victorian floors which after 100+ years service don't squeak. They are nailed, no screws or glue, but they are cramped up tight when they are installed (look up "flooring cramp" - these can be hired, as they are very expensive to buy) and there is always a slight gap around the edges. The other thing is how good are your joists? Did you have creaking before? Just wondering if there was any creaking it might be worth considering a row or two of solid strutting between the joists to stiffen them up. Also look at the ends of the joists to see how they connect into the walls - are they loose?

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case use flooring cramps to get the floor nice and tight. Start with the tongue to the wall and use oval nails, punched under with a hammer and nail set

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.
Joists are good and there was no squeeking before. Keen that it stays that way.
Will look in to the flooring cramp.
Was planing on using secret nails, through the tongue, as they were when i took them up.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Screws, every time. Drill a pilot hole and countersink the hole just enough for the head to sit flush/just below flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back