Replacing oven with no RCD protection

I would agree using SWA or Ali-tube cable even with a new circuit there is no requirement for RCD protection to a fixed appliance like an oven.

Interesting ..
Can a customer still legally disconnect the oven and take it with them if they move?
Would this action cause a change in interpretation to now require a circuit protection device?

Sponsored Links
I would agree using SWA or Ali-tube cable even with a new circuit there is no requirement for RCD protection to a fixed appliance like an oven.
Interesting .. Can a customer still legally disconnect the oven and take it with them if they move? ... Would this action cause a change in interpretation to now require a circuit protection device?
None of this is about legal/illegal - the regs are not law.

A customer could obviously disconnect and remove an oven. As for the circuit that was left, that would depend upon what was done with it. For example, if one connected sockets to it, there would definitely then be a requirement per regs for RCD protection of thsoe new sockets.

Kind Regards, John

That's interesting John

For years I've understood that they were with a legal penalty if you caught doing otherwise whether you were or were not in possession of the latest certificate of passing the regulation exam

I thought the regs became legislated law about 10 years ago .

I understand the HASAW act 1974 act angle if you cause problems

That's interesting John ... For years I've understood that they were with a legal penalty if you caught doing otherwise whether you were or were not in possession of the latest certificate of passing the regulation exam ... I thought the regs became legislated law about 10 years ago.
Part P of the Building Regs (which is law) came into force in 2005, but that essentially just requires that electrical work is done 'safely'. Although compliance with the Wiring Regs (aka BS7671) is one way of demonstrating that work is done 'safely', there is no legal compulsion to comply with the regs if one can produce other arguments that the work is safe. There is not, and never has been, any legal requirement as regards what qualifications etc. (if any) a person undertaking electrical work has to have - as far as the law is concerned, anyone who is 'competent' may undertake such work, even if they have no qualifications or 'registrations' at all.
I understand the HASAW act 1974 act angle if you cause problems
I'm no lawyer, but I think that legislation is probably of limited relevance to domestic electrical work.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John,
Thanks very much for the last post.

It suddenly squares the circle for me in many aspects of things I've done & why I did them to DEFENCE standards rather than to the lower standard wiring regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back