Replacing radiator thermostates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating system was fitted with 22mm female fittings for the thermostats on the radiators.

We are now having problems getting 22mm thermostatic valves as all the ones we've seen are 15mm.

Can you still buy 22mm, or are 15mm now the standard. To change would mean all the radiators would need to be changed, an expense we cannot afford.

Any help please?

Sponsored Links
If you can put a photo up, someone may recognise them.

Are you sure they're not male 1/2" which screw into female thread on valve if so just cut off the olives & change nut as supplied with new valve

weareleeds said:
Are you sure they're not male 1/2" which screw into female thread on valve if so just cut off the olives & change nut as supplied with new valve

The 22mm is on the radiator not on the thermostate.
At B&Q the ordinary radiator valves were 22mm, but the thermostatic valves were 15mm or had a reducer to 10mm.

Sponsored Links
I think i know what you mean if so they are not 22mm but 3/4" tailpieces which screw into the 1/2" radiator you will need to remove these tailpieces & replace with the 1/2" ones supplied with new valve

I definitely think we need a picture if you know someone with a digital camera. There are more rad valves in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your B&Q.

The good news: The bit that comes out of the radiator, with a nut that pulls the valve onto it, is only screwed into the rad, and you get a new one of the correct size with every new valve. Obviously it is a bit easier if your new valve fits the old one, but not a very big deal to change.

If I were you I'd wait until summer, though, as your CH may be out of action for a day or two while you spanner your way round the house.

No offence, but have you changed a rad valve before?

edited to say, weareleeds got there while I was still typing. Tailpiece, that's a good word ;)

weareleeds said:
I think i know what you mean if so they are not 22mm but 3/4" tailpieces which screw into the 1/2" radiator you will need to remove these tailpieces & replace with the 1/2" ones supplied with new valve

Now I understand what you mean. I did not try to unscrew the piece in the radiator as I thought it was all one piece of the radiator. Do I just unscrew it and will it come out easily?

Yes, you just unscrew it, but No, it might not come out easily. They can be stuck with hardened old jointing paste, rust and scale. Best to have someone hold the rad in case the fixing screws are insecure. Some have a squared shaft you can get a spanner on (you will be able to see this without removing anything), and some have an internal hex socket in the throat of the tail that you need a big allen key for.

BTW Screwfix also have a good range, including own brand which are cheap and not particularly ugly. And if you're changing rad valves, it's worth doing the lockshields while you've got your spanners out, as they can eventually jam or leak with age. You can also fit a lockshield with integral drain-off cock, again, v cheap and it's useful to have a few on the ground floor.

p2632396_l.jpg
£4.49

p1050790_l.jpg
£2.19

JohnD said:
I definitely think we need a picture if you know someone with a digital camera. There are more rad valves in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your B&Q.

The good news: The bit that comes out of the radiator, with a nut that pulls the valve onto it, is only screwed into the rad, and you get a new one of the correct size with every new valve. Obviously it is a bit easier if your new valve fits the old one, but not a very big deal to change.

If I were you I'd wait until summer, though, as your CH may be out of action for a day or two while you spanner your way round the house.

No offence, but have you changed a rad valve before?

edited to say, weareleeds got there while I was still typing. Tailpiece, that's a good word ;)

No John, we've never changed a rad valve. We had a plummer update the system 20 years ago and gratually over the first few years the valves just broke off. We got another plummer to replace some of them, but now the cost of having a plummer in is beyond what we can afford. I will try to insert a photo, how do I insert a photo on the forum please?
[/img]

pictures: See //www.diynot.com/forums/faq.php

but (though i think the word "therefore" means "alternatively")

Can I post Images?
Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. You can email your picture to [email protected] and details of the post you wish it to appear in and we can upload it for you. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode
color]

Gwenrose said:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5313/2032/320/Radiator%20valve.jpg

I've posted an image on this site, hope you can see it, not sure if I've done it right!

It will not work John, I've tried to access it myself. I've sent an image via admin, hopefully they will put it on.

But we are very interested in the valves etc you have shown, what is the full name of the company and are they on the internet?

Its Christmas, admin are "asleep"

You may have to tick a "view from any site button" on your website or use one of the others mentioned.

The pictures you see are from screwfix

I hope i don't get into trouble for advertising...

company is called screwfix They have a very good mail order dept. very well known.

the rad valves are here

JohnD, screwfix, no problem

Thanks John

I've had a look at the site and we're really considering using their stuff.

I would prefer thermostate valves that do not have a plastic clip on bottom, the last ones did and once the plastics been heated up a few times I suppose it must get brittle and that's why the valves broke so quickly.

We will be visiting the site again tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help, you've been great.

Gwen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back