Replacing radiator with heavier one on a partition wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just doing our bathroom, I've got one wall left to tile - I've got to remove the radiator from this wall first.

The current radiator is about 600mm x 600mm single.

The new radiator is a towel radiator - which is 1500mm x 500mm.

The wall it is going on is one of those rubbish partition walls, the type with cardboard inside. (Late 70's house).

The wall will be tiled and then I was going to use some special metal fixings that open out behind the plasterboard and tiles - will this be enough on this type of wall? There are 4 mounting points.

Or should I do anything extra before tiling the wall to add any kind of reinforcement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Find where the studs are before tiling and try to align some of the fittings with them.

It is paramount board, so doesn't have studs in it, just the honeycomb cardboard.

I'm thinking of fitting some kind of baton to support the weight.

The old rad was mounted using special fixings, but it was just a standard rad, this one is so much higher that I'm worried that the extra leverage from the height will cause it to have more chance of pulling through.

Am I being sensible or over cautious?

You need to compare the weights.

Unless you have uncontrolled children who climb up things you can forget about any problem from the height.

I would expect the towel rail will be comparable weights and nothing to be concerned about as long as you can find the best fittings.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply,

The children are fairly sensible so should be alright there. The towel radiator is 25Kg plus water, the original radiator is about 15Kg plus water, so there is a fair bit of extra weight plus it levers from higher up.

For now I have chopped out the plaster board and cardboard at the top mounting point right across the paramount panel. I am just about to screw a baton in. This will firmly fix the top mounts in place. I'm not sure if I'll do the same for the bottom or not as I will feel happier knowing that at least the top is held securely.

I don't fully understand what you are doing.

My assessment of the load carrying aspect is that ALL the weight would be on the bottom and the top would only be held towards the wall with negligible force.

Or depending which was fitted first all the weight on the top and the wall just holds it from moving inwards at the bottom.

I am glad your children are sensible!

Only wish my 44 y.o. lodger was. In front of me he stepped onto the top of the radiator to adjust the curtain rail !

I was going with the fact that the top would be fitted first and initially would hold the weight of the rad by itself, then attach the bottom and at that point the tiles etc would stop it moving inwards and the plasterboard plugs would stop it pulling out at the bottom. The bottom also has a little security from the fact that the pipes can't move (although I wouldn't like to rely on this as they could bend/break etc)

I could baton the bottom as well but it was quite a lot of work to do the top and I think it will be enough anyway.

I think you'll be OK with thee top batten. The load is shear, I'm no engineer but I think it's equal on top and bottom

Thanks gents, test fit went well today, the baton should hold it nicely. Very nearly used the mounting screws which came with the radiator, could job I realised half way in - if I had carried on they were so long that they would have gone right through into the bedroom behind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back