replacing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a radiator with a same size new one ( 600x800)and new valves. The problem is that there is only a limited access of 6" of pipe rising up to the rad through the floor and compression fittings need to be used on this pipe. It is not possible to lift floorboards to alter / reposition pipes beneath the floor. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to because the pipes are stainless and I am told they are also notorious for leaking if disturbed. I understand that the distance from wall may not be same and that the distance between valves may be slightly different. Even if flexibles were allowed I couldn't get them in unless I lift the radiator a few inches higher but lifting can easily be done. Can anyone suggest the best way to tackle the job? I thought of plastic pipe between the new valves and the old pipe using compression but is it flexible enough given there would only be about 3" of plastic. many thanks for your considerations, kev

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to remove existing rad valves, pull the olives if required and just fit like for like. Do not understand why you are wanting to extend existing tails. I understand that there may be offset differently from wall, if so you will have to do some alterations to pipe and that is best done beneath the floor. By stainless do yo mean chrome plated?

Hi Prenticeboy. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Pipes are not chrome plated but actually stainless steel ( Radweld) used during world copper shortage 1972. Yes I could remove the valves from the upright pipes but then I would be left with a nut and used olive on the pipe and I don't know if I could just fit a new valve to them and effectively use this olive twice ? I thought I would need to cut off the this nut and olive thus shortening the pipe before fitting the valve. I could perhaps reposition the new rad closer / further away from wall by altering bracket mounting board thickness somewhat. I think the main problem could be the distance between valves. it would have to be exact and even a millimetre could be problematic, kev

The olives an be removed, either using a olive pulling tool of cutting across olive with hacksaw then it can be split and nut/olive removed.

Sponsored Links
I understand that the distance from wall may not be same and that the distance between valves may be slightly different.

Your new radiator should have fixing brackets that are adaptable to be fitted close to the wall or a little further out,so your pipes should just about line up.Sounds like your pipe is passivated zinc or similar,try not to bend them.

Sometimes you can re-use the nut and olive - depends on the new valve and the state of the olive (i.e. Not crushed to death) with some paste smeared around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back