Shaping pipe for replacing single with double radiator

WA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a double radiator the same length as my old one but instead of a single it is a double. Now obviously there is a big gap between the new valves and the old piping. The old piping comes straight out from the floor and is much closer to the wall. The distance into the room between the thermostat valve and the pipe is about 6cm. What do I do?

Sponsored Links
concrete floor or wooden floor?

you know you can turn the rad brackets round and use the other slots?

I have already done that and with that there is the 6 cm gap otherwise it would be even more.

Sponsored Links
then lift the floorboards and see how it is fixed. you can probably move it around a bit. You may need to make a new or larger hole in the board.

you may find you can remove a pipe clip and the pipe will bend a bit.

Is there no handy s connector I can use. The problem with bending the pipe towards the room to fit the valve is that ithe end of the pipe would be lowered and the whole radiator would then be too low hiting the skirting board as a result.

Lift board,get 2 speedfit isolating valves cut the pipe bang valves on ,in off position remember,then drill 2 new 19mm hole,s in floor and use old pipe with a bit cut off and away you go,1/2 hour job and its done

Cut the pipe and add a piece with a bent offset. Or use elbows, 90 or 135. You could go to 10mm

I think I'll go with Bobbo 85's way of doing it. Using isolating valves will save me having to drain the system so thank you for the tip. Now all I need to do is get on with it. Seems there is no shortcut. You make it sound very easy. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Lift board,get 2 speedfit isolating valves cut the pipe bang valves on ,in off position remember,then drill 2 new 19mm hole,s in floor and use old pipe with a bit cut off and away you go,1/2 hour job and its done

You are a cowboy!!!

Speedfit iso valves are not suitable for use on heating systems!!

You may also find that the radiator does not heat adequately due to the restriction in the valve !!

Drain the system and do the job correctly!!

The reason he makes it sound easy is that he actually does not really know what he is on about. This guy is a rogue who keeps re-appearing under different names pretending to be a pro. He has learned the theory about some things by reading a lot of threads here, but he can never get his facts quite straight. The pushfit part will work, but not THOSE ones. Ignore him and listen to guys like Chris and John, and several others.

don't listen to me, I'm a complete numbskull! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back