Single VS Double Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This maybe a silly question but is a modern single radiator likely to be nearly as hot (BTU) as an old, dated double? I ask as I need to replace a dated double but the existing pipe centres will fit easily onto a new single & not a double due to the increased depth.

I recently fitted a new modern radiator elsewhere in the house & I find it far superior/hotter to the older ones in my house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without checking... a single convector will give of around 33% more than a single non convector. I doubt however, a modern single will give same same output as an old double.

The fins however, may get you close.

Most new radiators are more efficient than old ones of the same size, because they have fins either in the middle if it's a double, or on the rear of a single.

Use the radcalcs wizard to find the correct rad for your room. The result will be in BTUs, then you can find either a single or double of the correct output.

http://www.radcalcs.com/

Thanks for the reply. If I was to try & fit a newer double that is deeper whats the best way to go about adjusting the pipe work?

Sponsored Links
Depends where the pipes come from. Eg. if from the floor, what is floor constructed from?

Just realised that you can actually get the following:

Single Panel Convector
Double Panel Single Convector
Double Panel Double Convector

It was the Double Panel Double Convector I fitted in the past & they are quite deep; maybe a Double Panel Single Convector will fit with the existing pipe work.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back