imperial radiators vs metric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Looking for some comparison of BTU / KW output of imperial radiators vs metric radiators.

I have 6 radiators all are double panel double fins but are the old style painted steel. Would I see an increase in BTU/KW output by replacing them with the new metric modern ones?

I used this website http://www.simplifydiy.com/plumbing-and-heating/radiators/power
and calculated that my radiators were giving out 14850BTU or 4.4KW.
If I replaced them with new I would get 44775BTU or 13.1KW.

To me this seems like a massive difference and wasnt sure how to validate this as I could not find any ratings for the old imperial sized radiators.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you replace your existing imperial dimension rads with the metric sized equivalents, there will be minor differences in physical size and little difference in output. You may have made a mistake in your calcs.

Well I assumed that the numbers were off but there is no mistake in the calculations when using that website to work out what I have.
Are you aware of how I could calculate the actual BTU output of my existing radiators?

"If I replaced them with new I would get 44775BTU or 13.1KW."

please show us the source that says so.

For sensibility checking, a single rad 600mm high x 1000mm wide should have a nominal output in the region of 1kW

If you tell us the dimensions of your radiators and, for at least one of them, the claimed heat output from each of your sources, we may see if there is an obvious error.

I notice that one of your calculations is about three times the other (2.98 approx.)
Disregarding the position of the decimal point, this is similar to the numbers difference btu/kw, because 1,000 btu is about 0.293kw. Perhaps this is a coincidence.

Sponsored Links
HAHAHA I totally see what I have done. So sorry to waste everyones time. I miss read the website and assumed it was in BTUS when it was in Watts.

Ahh well back to the drawing board on how to heat my house. thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back