Type of radiators to pick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've worked out my ratings in BTU for the rooms i'm wanting to add radiators but am unsure which type to get, single panel single convector, double panel single convector or double panel double convector.Also what brands are good or bad.

These are all for a new extension with insulated walls and floor.I'll be fitting TRv's

Utility room i need a 600x600 or 600x700mm and the room is 3250 BTU

Upstairs extension needs 2 radiators one at each end 500x1200 or (500x1400 best) and the room is 11000 BTU.

Sponsored Links
The only problems with the 'centerbrand' rads is that the vent plug sometimes snap off if overtightened and it's difficult to add chemicals.
The myson brackets can be a bit of a pain.
Stelrads and Henrads are easy.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replies, since reading these replies i got a price for some Quinn radiators, the 1400x500 single was just over 4000 BTU but the same size radiator from mr central heating was 6000 BTU, is there any reason for this and are quinn any good. I'll get a price for the ones you've suggested.

Bleeding nipples in those are mounted directly in the rad; nipple stuck or damaged = new rad, in stead of new bleeding nut. Had a client where I had to replace the whole rad that was only 4 years old because of this.

Bleeding nipples in those are mounted directly in the rad; nipple stuck or damaged = new rad, in stead of new bleeding nut. Had a client where I had to replace the whole rad that was only 4 years old because of this.

Ahh I see. Lets hope that doesn't happen to me!

When I bought it they said I could buy a 'compact radiator kit' with it which as far as I can tell adds a grill to the top part of the rad.

Is this purely asthetical or does it serve some purpose?

I IMHO I was really impressed with Wickes rads.

They have got new universal rads that are either round top or finned.
You just turn then upside down for choice. The top grill and side panels can be brought separately and fitted retrospectively, very neat. I'm sure the bleed valves where screw in nuts :LOL:

Wickes has gone up in my opinion, as I believe it has been sorted out by Travis Perkins. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back