Types of Radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to choose a radiator for a new room. I've used a radiator calculator i've seen on another post on the forum to calculate my required BTU but i've got three options of the type of radiator. Can anyone tell me the difference between these:-

Single panel, single convector
Double panel, single convector
Double panel, double convector

Is there likely to be a difference between the thickness/distance they stand out from the wall? I assume the single panel will be narrower than the double panel but i'm not sure about the width difference between single and double convector?? I do want one that will stick out to far from the wall but need to get some balance between that and the overall size.

Any advice most greatfully received!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
heres a rough guide

scan.jpg

which rad you choose is down to personal choice, the difference is in the size of each, a double panel double convector is further from the wall but will be a lot shorter than a single panel single convector giving out the same heat, so it depends on preferred (or forced ) position of the rad, behind a door is the best place for a rad as it is a space that can't be used for furniture etc, but what depth you have will depend on what rad you can get

Sponsored Links
Kirkgas - yeah thats what i'm trying to do - get a balance between depth from wall and overall length. I could just about get a double convector to fit between a cupboard and the door into the room - but i mean just fit so it creates the potential for finger trapping between the door edge and the rad. I'm therefore going for the double panel single convector which sticks out less but is longer so the door will open onto the radiator instead of the wall. May end up fitting a door stop to stop the door banging against the rad but better than trapping someone's fingers (because i know it'll be mine that get trapped!!!)

(because i know it'll be mine that get trapped!!!)
then you'll know who to blame.
don't forget to allow for the valves on each end so the rad won't fit right up to the cupboard.

Cheers Seco - as it happened i hadn't considered the valves but the cupboard is built into the wall and stops about 18inches from the floor (cupboard over stairs bulkhead on other side of wall) so wont affect the valves.

Thanks for the help guys - i've got another busy weekend ahead if my lad's getting a new bedroom for Christmas!!

capacity difference between single and double rad is rather simple; double rad of same length gives twice the heat of a single.
do yourself a favour, add 20% to the value you have calculated

also they come in all shapes and sizes,standard rads also come in different heights too.

[.

Thanks for the help guys - i've got another busy weekend ahead if my lad's getting a new bedroom for Christmas!![/quote]
You must have some size of a tree to get that under it. LOl

double rad does not give out double the btu`s of a single rad even double convector is not double the output

double rad does not give out double the btu`s of a single rad even double convector is not double the output

2076vs 1140 on my most commonly used size; half of that is 1038, which equals 55% of 2076.

behind a door is the best place for a rad as it is a space that can't be used for furniture etc,

i was sure the best place for a rad was under the window where possible mate like they are designed for (convections and all that)???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back