Replacing rubbish extractor fan

C

charliebean

I have a modern house, built cheaply. I have an en-suite without a window and it is prone to some mould growth. The extractor fan is always on but I dont believe it is extracting much at all. I held a piece of toilet paper next to it, like a cm for it, and it did not pull on it at all. So I am thinking it is probably cheap and nasty and needs a better one installed?

It is a Vectaire, model: BR 25T.

Any suggestions on what I should replace it with and how to go about that?

thanks

Sponsored Links
what I should replace it with

Its a 100mm timer fan. Go for a centrifugal fan rather than an axial one. Especially if you have a long duct run.Look at the volume performance as a comparison.
Also, check that the duct is allowing the free flow of air.

how to go about that?

Umm…. Uncrew the old one, noting what wires go where. Then fit the new one!
Simples!

The duct runs into the loft and then several meters to the side of the roof, I think; I'll have to go check. I really wouldn't be surprised to find the tail end face down in the roof insulation. Longer presumably means more volume performance is required to push the air?

Sponsored Links
It would also be best to have some logical thought and consider size of bathroom and what appliance are being used in the location.
If you have duct in the loft and adequate space, it would be wise to put an in-line fan in the loft, more efficient and likely to reduce fan noise in the living areas.

Thank you everyone, for the replies.

I purchased a Manrose CF200T which arrived today. I checked in the loft and the flexible ducting is insulated (good) but it isn't set up properly so condensation will run down it back into the bathroom (bad) - which is no doubt why we have a water stain around the extractor fan on the ceiling. I don't think there is any slack in the ducting to allow me to correct this. Best I can do is lift the middle bit where it droops in between the rafters.

Need to drill some holes so too late today. Pick it up tomorrow.

The duct runs into the loft and then several meters to the side of the roof, I think; I'll have to go check. I really wouldn't be surprised to find the tail end face down in the roof insulation. Longer presumably means more volume performance is required to push the air?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: , that's british builders!

DS

All in and working great btw. Massive difference. Only downside to the new fan was the stupid placement of the wiring connector which made it harder to wire than it could have been. But overall very good and it's been running fine for a couple of weeks now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back