Replacing rusty spark plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 2003 Ford Fiesta with just under 20k miles on it. Recently it started to develop a shudder which - according to my well-timed service - is due to a mis-firing spark plug. Despite being 4 years old, the plugs have never been changed... :oops:

Turns out that my ignition cables had a leak, so the spark plugs rusted in the gallery and there is water in the bottom - a real mess.

The garage quoted me £175 to replace the cables and spark plugs, but I know that I can buy replacement cables for around £30, so I'd be paying £150 for getting the spark plugs out. They are telling me there is a 30% chance of damaging the cylinder head which would cost £1,000+.

Am I being ripped off here? What is the real likelihood of them damaging the cylinder head given the right equipment?

Sponsored Links
what engine is in the fiesta?? 2003 a bit new to be the endura e engine which has the problems with seizing plugs.

CJLees01 said:
...The garage quoted me £175 to replace the cables and spark plugs,...

rofl5.gif
laughing-smiley-018.gif
laughing-smiley-017.gif
laughing-smiley-012.gif
rofl5.gif

I suppose they are thinking the plugs may have corroded into the head.
If I were you I would (1) phone round a few engineering companies and ask what they would charge to helicoil or stainless-insert new threads (2) get my spark plug spanner and see if I can move the plugs (a) cold (b) hot (but without using enormous force). If you can't, let the garage have a go.

davieboy said:
what engine is in the fiesta?? 2003 a bit new to be the endura e engine which has the problems with seizing plugs.

It is a Zetec engine.

I've had a go at replacing the spark plugs with a spanner and they are pretty stuck in there.... The engine was warm rather than hot or cold when I tried it.

Sponsored Links
id change them cold try a little squirt of wd40 the night before around plug base

Wait - get replacement leads from Halfrauds first and see if this makes a difference.
If not then try to remove the plugs when cold... BUT first...
1) With a straw blow out all/any muck in the plug-wells - you may have to run a cloth round with a skinny screwdriver to get the areas dry first.
2) Short spray into the plug-wells with WD40
3) Ensure you've got the correct plug socket - one with a rubber ring insert because this will give a little support to the plug body.
Don't try to tap the socket lever to get the plugs loose but use steady pressure.
And be prepared for a plug to snap - make sure you'd be able to get the car to a garage because you won't be able to start it.
Best of luck

id maybe soak them at least overnight with the wd40 or duck oil to stand half a chance of getting them out,put plenty in

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Got some replacement plugs from Halfords already, and they are ready to go once I change the spark plugs. I've also got a spark plug spanner with a rubber insert.

My plan then is to get the standing water out of the spark plug gallery and clean out the junk. Spray with WD40 and leave overnight. Steady pressure and cross my fingers... The garage is booked in case I don't suceed...

Thanks again.

if the plugs won't budge and you need to drive it to the garage make sure you clean up all of the old wd40 before trying to start the engine.
I made this mistake a few years back with a distributor cap and blew it halfway across the road with only a tiny amount left. it took the spring retaining clips with it. keep the fire extinguisher handy.

You will find it easier to change the plugs when the engine is hot! When the plugs start to move take your time and go back and forth slightly undoing more at each turn ,be patient they nearly always come out by this method.

:) hi, i did one of these on a fiesta a while back, same year as well/ plugs looked well and truly rusted up and seized in, i done as was sugested and cleaned all crap out then left it soaked overnight with wd40 , next day made sure it was dried off then warmed engine up a bit, made sure plug socket was on good an tight -with a socket bar on top-and gave it a good whack with another bar/ it undid em all first time no messing.
:) if you try to turn em you will probally round them off.
i thought no chance, we even had it outside garage just in case. good luck. r.r.

So the saga continues....

Soaked the plugs in wd40 overnight. Woke up this morning trying to remove them, but they won't budge with my spark plug spanner. Not being within pushing distance of a garage and not wanting to tempt fate, I cleaned the wd40 up as far as I could and set off for the garage.

5m down the road and I hear a repetitive banging. Open up the bonnet and one of the spark plugs has decided to eject itself... but only the inside, with the thread still in the cylinder head. So I call out the tow truck to drive me to the garage.

Thus ensues heated exchange about what exactly I'm paying £175 for, and eventually I hand over the keys. Turns out their strategy is exactly the same - soak them overnight and try again in the morning.

Service manager calls up later in the day to confirm (innocently) that the car had been towed there.... I may as well hand over my card and PIN number....

So the saga continues....

Soaked the plugs in wd40 overnight. Woke up this morning trying to remove them, but they won't budge with my spark plug spanner. Not being within pushing distance of a garage and not wanting to tempt fate, I cleaned the wd40 up as far as I could and set off for the garage.

5m down the road and I hear a repetitive banging. Open up the bonnet and one of the spark plugs has decided to eject itself... but only the inside, with the thread still in the cylinder head. So I call out the tow truck to drive me to the garage.

Thus ensues heated exchange about what exactly I'm paying £175 for, and eventually I hand over the keys. Turns out their strategy is exactly the same - soak them overnight and try again in the morning.

Service manager calls up later in the day to confirm (innocently) that the car had been towed there.... I may as well hand over my card and PIN number....

It would appear you over-reacted, the fact that the inner part of the plug was ejected,was the result of you cracking the ceramic in your attempt to remove the plug.
If the plug body is still in the cylinder head there is no reason why it can't be removed with the right gentle persuasion, soaking in penetrating oil then applying steady pressure with a close fitting hexagonal socket, don't use bi-hex as you stand a risk of rounding off the corners.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back