KA+ rough running?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I have a 2016/17 Ford KA+ and after letting the tank get low has suddenly started with very rough running.

Using a Bluetooth ODB adapter I have obtained the codes:

P0013 (Camshaft Position → Open/Short OCV → Bank 1)
P0201 (Injector circuit cylinder 1)
P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire detected).

Weird how I get the top one at the same time as the injector circuit one.

I have cleaned it with isopropyl cleaner (brake cleaner) but it's not that dirty as the oil has only been in just over 1 year/6000 miles. = no effect.

I have another KA+ so have tried swapping parts, when I swap the camshaft actuator and clear the faults, this one does not return - put the old one back and it soon returns. The resistance of it is 8.4 ohms - same as the other one.
However when swapped it still ran rough.

Q: What does this actually do?
What is the effect of it going faulty?
EDIT: Explained well here:

For the injectors, I have tried swapping one from the wifes car and it had little effect - still ran bad, this was a mistake to do as it took ages to get the wifes injectors back in, mine were easy. Had to wipe oil around the cylinder block holes and the injector seal to get them in.

On mine, I have tried a trick I saw on Youtube of putting a 12v bulb in the plug, on cylinders 1-3 it flashed mid brightness.
On cylinder 1 if was almost constant and a lot brighter. I guess I should actually measure the voltage.

Given that the bulb light this tells me the cable is OK & not O/C.

Now I'm at a loss what to do next, I'd rather not take it back to Ford (not under warranty) as it will undoubtedly cost me a hell of a lot.

I have ordered a used injector train set so I can replace the one in cylinder one (although I'm not sure it is this).

Given both faults happen at the same time I'm wondering if it is the BCU/ECM and that I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg.
Although they are available on the bay, I just need to know exactly what the part is - first thing to do is identify then find it?

Any helpful suggestions appreciated
Thanks.

I shall go try swap spark plugs now, see what effect that has.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would be easier to fault find by moving the components between cylinders on the rough running engine and seeing if the fault code follows a component rather than swapping in parts off another engine.

If the engine uses individual coil packs then 1 at a time I'd move the spark plug, the ignition coil, then the injector and swap them with one of the middle cylinders (you are certain which cylinder is no1? Not be first time someone has been working on no4 and not no1 as some cars are identified from the gearbox end.)

Test after each component swap and see if anything causes the fault code to move cylinder.

Chris

Cheers, I can try that.

Just changed the plug and ignition lead - no difference.
The plug leads have the cylinder number on so yes - cylinder one is on the left as you look from the front.

No to the coil packs (I wish it was - I have dealt with those before) but a central electronic distributor.

Last edited:
Cheers, I can try that.

Just changed the plug and ignition lead - no difference.
The plug leads have the cylinder number on so yes - cylinder one is on the left as you look from the front.

No to the coil packs (I wish it was - I have dealt with those before) but a central electronic distributor.
Its a coil pack. Well known for playjng up.

For code p0301 if you have changed plug and lead then coil pack is most likely

Sponsored Links
As above - just like the Fiesta of old!
This is, in fact a 4 coil system in a pack, unlike the individual pencil coils favoured now. Unfortunately a dud plug often takes the coil pack with it.......!
John :)

So it could be the coil pack that is causing the P0301?
In that case I'll get one of those and see how I go.

Cheers.

EDIT:
Can it be the coil pack and still report the P0201 that the injector circuit is faulty?
The spark plugs have not been faulty - I tried one from the wifes car.

I just want to be sure before I spend some more dosh.
Thanks

Do I change the coil pack and the plug? (sounds logical if a dud plug took out the coil pack lol)

Last edited:
So it could be the coil pack that is causing the P0301?
In that case I'll get one of those and see how I go.

Cheers.

EDIT:
Can it be the coil pack and still report the P0201 that the injector circuit is faulty?
The spark plugs have not been faulty - I tried one from the wifes car.

I just want to be sure before I spend some more dosh.
Thanks

Do I change the coil pack and the plug? (sounds logical if a dud plug took out the coil pack lol)
Impossible remotely to just dismiss the other codes, but P0301 is the 1 that will definitely give you the symptoms you have.

personally I would delete all the codes and run it, almost certainly P0301 and possibly the others will reappear. Then I'd change the coil pack and all 4 plugs, clear the codes again and try that.

New leads might be a good idea too. They do break down after a while.

Its a coil pack. Well known for playjng up.

For code p0301 if you have changed plug and lead then coil pack is most likely

As above - just like the Fiesta of old!
This is, in fact a 4 coil system in a pack, unlike the individual pencil coils favoured now. Unfortunately a dud plug often takes the coil pack with it.......!
John :)

OK so I have changed the coil pack, the leads, new spark plugs AND the actuator all atthe same time today.
Still runs very rough.

I'm not seeing anything other than an ECU now?
The thing that controls the coil pack?

I bought a new coil pack yesterday but alas the connector is wrong so I have to take that back.

I'm at a loss what to do next? (apart from send it into Ford with an expectation that its going to cost me a shedload).
BTW, if I get a 2nd hand control unit from a breakers, it was mentioned that it may need programming?
Is this something I would need Ford to do and will they actually do it?

Im a bit confused. What actuator ?
Have you
cleared the codes?
Ran the engine and found new codes?
fitted new coil pack, leads and plugs or ones from another car ?

don't try running before walking. Clear the codes, run the engine and see what codes appear then.

also it doesn't have to go to Ford dealer, find a local independent. They see these cars day in day out and will know the symptoms, causes and do a cheaper repair than the dealer.

Rule number one when dealing with a misfire used to be …..check the compressions first!

Rule number one when dealing with a misfire used to be …..check the compressions first!
agree generally. But this was sudden rough running not a gradual worsening.

Doesn't rule out compression issues, but p0301 on a ka is not a rare thing

Im a bit confused. What actuator ?
Have you
cleared the codes?
Ran the engine and found new codes?
fitted new coil pack, leads and plugs or ones from another car ?

don't try running before walking. Clear the codes, run the engine and see what codes appear then.

also it doesn't have to go to Ford dealer, find a local independent. They see these cars day in day out and will know the symptoms, causes and do a cheaper repair than the dealer.
See the first post, it's the exhaust side camshaft position actuator (goes by many names).

Yes I cleared the codes, several times over the course of this.
P0013 keep returning and eventually the P0201/P0301 do too.

Having replaced everything in the ignition chain, the injectors I'm really at a loss as to what else could be causing a misfire?

Independents may be able to work on it but they will I'm sure try the same parts I have, at least Ford can put them back in stock when they find they are not the cause.
Although I will ask one I know of.

Never heard of a camshaft actuator on these. I assume you mean camshaft position sensor? For this to be a real issue I would be suspecting potential internal damage. It doesnt tie in with the info given.
Have you fitted new coil pack, plugs and leads ? If so then it is definitely time to get a more thorough diagnosis from ford or an independant.
The main dealer wont try things and put them back on the shelf if they dont cure the issue, no different to an independent in that respect. Just a bigger labour bill and dearer parts.
P0301 on these is a common failure.

Never heard of a camshaft actuator on these. I assume you mean camshaft position sensor? For this to be a real issue I would be suspecting potential internal damage. It doesnt tie in with the info given.
Have you fitted new coil pack, plugs and leads ? If so then it is definitely time to get a more thorough diagnosis from ford or an independant.
The main dealer wont try things and put them back on the shelf if they dont cure the issue, no different to an independent in that respect. Just a bigger labour bill and dearer parts.
P0301 on these is a common failure.

That's what I have said, I tried replacing everything with known good ones and no effect.
I'm booking it into Ford tomorrow.

Ah well, that's the savings gone :(

Sponsored Links
Back