Brakes on a KA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Ford KA quite an old one T Reg
The Brake warning light has come on on the dash and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor before the brakes come on .
Ive tried pumping the brakes but to no avail
Brake fluid resevoir is full
Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the seals in the master cylinder.

Have you had any brake work done recently, or has the fault come on slowly?

The brake warning light is a bit of a head scratcher...

Does the pedal go firm and stay firm when the pedal goes down, or continue to sink?

The brake lamp has three circuits 1) Front pad wear indicator 2) Handbrake lever 3) Master cylinder fluid level - each of which could be playing a part here.
As xr says - if you can get some sort of pedal pressure, if the pedal continues to sink its a master cylinder problem.
The front disc brakes are self adjusting, and the rear drums should be - but they sometimes don't and the distance the shoe has to travel can make the pedal sink a long way.....however, pumping the pedal does work if its done quick enough.
John :)

I had new pads and discs fitted about 2 months ago
But the fault appeared all of a sudden whilst driving along.

Sponsored Links
the pedal goes to the floor and then if i press hard for the last inch the brakes are applied.

I reckon the rear drums need to come off, to see whats going on there.....and I wouldn't be surprised to see a brake shoe where the friction material has broken away.
John :)

the pedal goes to the floor and then if i press hard for the last inch the brakes are applied.

If the pedal doesn't continue to fall to the floor, as been said its most likey to be rear drums.

Back