replacing sash window glass ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Today we have had 3 upvc windows installed to our kitchen and downstairs bathroom, now the heating has come on you can tell its a lot warmer in these rooms. The house was built in 1887 and allready had upvc windows fitted to the back upstairs rooms.

Now my question is from the front of the house it still looks victorian with the origonal sash windows both upstairs and down, we don't want to change these to upvc white but it gets quite cold in the front room. From the shape of the bay window the rads been put on the other side of the room, is there a insulated glass that i can replace with the existing glass without double glazing?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
pilington K glass is supposed to be v.good

why not fit seconadary d glazing, there is one that looks like clingfilm, but you heat it with hair dryer, some one asked about it recently

Cheers, i'll look into the k glass. The glass in there at the moment is only about 3mm thick and feels almost plastic.

Now you mention the cling film type thing i think i can remember seeing it in a flat years ago.

Thanks

Hi

Why not try upvc vertical sliders perfect for your type of property,designed to look and work like original sash windows but with all the benefits of pvc and double glazing.

Bit more expensive than standard casement pvc windows but worth it for what you are getting.

have a look here for some ideas http://www.quickslide.co.uk/

Good Luck

p.s. dont think k-glass is suitable for single glazing

Sponsored Links
Some original sash windows can be Double Glazed, but because of the additional weight of the extra glass other work will be required.

This Company may give you an idea of what is involved and possible costs.

Click Here

I have seen some UPVc sash imitations, and some look appalling, they look like cheep plastic imitations which is what they are.

Salem.

I doubt you will be able to double glaze your old sashes as they will not be strong enough for the weight or wide enough for the new units. reglazing with low emission glass will be costy and not improve heat loss much if single glazed.

Plastic windows will look horrid and knock thousands off the value of your house.

Secondary glazing is relatively simple, it is possible to get vertical sliding sash secondary units (though I haven't seen them recently on the DIY market) and if you size them correctly they will be almost invisible from the outside, and with net curtains, inconspicuous from the inside. They will improve drafts as well as give insulation against heat and noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back