Replacing sewer. Best way to proceed with connection...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Original clay sewer was replace back in the 50's i'm guessing since i found an old 1959 coin buried next to the galvanized steel replacement. Well, now it's time to replace that with ABS. Trench is dug and i'm looking at the 6-inch cast iron from the city main which ends at my property line. It appears to be reduced to 4-inch with galvanized using lead and oakum. The reducer and 22º elbow look fine. So I was thinking of just taping into the 4-inch elbow rather than the city's 6-inch. Fernco donut or bang a Soil adapter in there?

Also, un-attaching the 4-inch from the 22º elbow. I have a few plumber's torches but I don't think they will heat the galvanized enough to melt the lead. Any other suggestions how to get those apart at the elbow? Let's keep in mind the retaining wall seen on the right.
Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
looking at the access i would be looking at chopping the 6" and dropping down to 4" with a short cutting and a new bend, cutting the 4" after the bend is just a wee bit close to the wall "just in case", ok cutting and reducing from the 6" will cost a bit more but the safety cushion of working from the 6" would be worth the extra cost for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back