Replacing skirting boards on Damp walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

there is a small corner in my room which is black due to rising damp. I have had a look and it appears the path outside is above the DPC. I have contacted our freeholder and he said he will get this fixed but nothing has been done as yet. I am currently fixing the room up and would like to get the skirting board down but with the damp in the one corner I am worried it will eventually effect the new skirting board. I don't want to hold up works any longer and would like to get the skirting down now so Is there anything I can do to the skirting board just in case the damp does effect it eventually?

Sponsored Links
It may soften if it was constantly damp for the next five years.

But you do realise that you wont be able to decorate it until the timber and the wall moisture content has stabilsed?

I can't see that advantage of fixing the skirting until the dampness has been sorted - surely the dampness is holding things up and not the fixing of the skirting?

if you feel you have to fix the skirting to the damp wall, put cling-film on the back of it to isolate it from the wall.

Sponsored Links
But the wall will still be damp and local humidity will make the skirting damp too, and nothing can be done with with the wall (decorating) in any case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back