replacing sliding door with a glass paned sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
We currently have a normal door (not solid wood) separating the kitchen and hall and would like to replace this with something to let in more light into the kitchen (when door is closed) and looks more stylish than this 1980's thing we have now.

As we are putting a new kitchen in soon now is the time to do it we feel.

Are we ok with a glass paned door as long as the glass is toughened?

Are glass paned (internal) doors always toughened?

The sliding door does go into an enclosure once opened.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The glass must be toughened by law now I believe. If it’s a full height single glazed door, I would expect the glass will need to be around 6mm which is gong to be heavy & isn’t going to be cheap. I would strongly advise you mark it in some way or stick those nice yellow flowers over it to reduce the chance of someone walking into it when it’s closed; usually guests who arn't used to it! Even though the glass may not break, walking into it can cause a nasty injury & practically knock you out as happened to my sister when she walked into the door between our kitchen & conservatoryl; it's surpisingly easily done. :rolleyes:

Thanks chaps.

If we replace it, it will be similar in appearance to either one of these...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Interior-Hardwood-Doors/Camberley-6-Light-Door/invt/205886

This one may be better for us...
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Interior-Softwood-Doors/Downham-Glazed-Pine-Door/invt/205909

I'll need to measure height and width as it may need cutting both ways, which i guess leads me to another question, i think it must need to be a solid door as cutting top, bottom, left, right sides must leave a good edge, yes?

Like it says in the lower link above "When trimming the door to fit it may be reduced by a maximum of 12.5mm in width and 25mm in height. Any reductions must be removed equally from each edge".

Sponsored Links
I'll need to measure height and width as it may need cutting both ways, which i guess leads me to another question, i think it must need to be a solid door as cutting top, bottom, left, right sides must leave a good edge, yes?
Yes they are but please check first by looking at the top and bottom to see the end wood grains

The oak door is normally the same as pine door but just with oak veener over it

I'll hopefully be picking one up in the next week or so.

I do have another question however, with regards to the way of keeping the door shut.

At present we have a "bolt" that is attached to the door frame (not where opening is) and this is moved into the actual door at the top left (door opens to left hand side).

It is a bit unsightly, but is there any other way of keeping the sliding door closed?

A normal door handle attached to spindle etc, wouldn't be of any use obviously as the door catch can be undone by just sliding the door, and i don't think magnets would be strong enough to keep it closed.

It has to be closed to the pets don't set the alarm off in the hall...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back