Replacing sockets cuts supply to adjoining room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a bit simple for you experts out there, but here goes...

I've just changed a couple of sockets in one room - 13 AMP 2 gang switched sockets. Shouldn't have afected the wiring really, I was just replacing one socket cover design with a new (plastic) one: although I did notice the earth cable in one of the sockets I was replacing seemed to be loose, not connected to the earth terminal.

I've connected the three cables to the three terminals correctly in both sockets, and indeed all works fine.... except, the sockets in the adjoining room are now not working. What can have happened there, what should I do?

Sponsored Links
Maybe a bad connection, maybe insulation trapped in a terminal, maybe one of the wires broken inside. How many sets of wires were there in each socket?

However if your wiring is a ring and multiple sockets have stopped working it typically means you have two faults both of which really need to be tracked down and fixed.

If you don't have full plans for the circuit now is a good time to be getting all the socket fronts off, getting your multimeter out and working out what cables run where (the usual method is to short one end of a cable and find the other end by looking for continuity).

Thanks for tips, but I'm a total amateur here, and if it comes to getting out a multimeter and tracking down connections, that's probably the point I'll get a man in... There was one set of (3) wires in each terminal I changed, plugwash.

In fact I've no idea if the wiring is a ring, or which circuit the fault belongs to. How would I check this?

Just wondered if it made sense to take off the sockets to investigate in the room next door, the room where power has now failed. And what would I be looking out for if I did? Or could it just be some kind of fuse or circuit braeker which has blown and needs resetting?: as far as I can see, fuses appear to be OK.

Sponsored Links
Check your connections again in the 2 sockets you have changed. (disconnect power before doing this) It is easy to push a wire in too far and tighten the terminal onto the insulation. No need to take off the two dead sockets if you havnt done anything to their wiring..

If your new sockets are working OK now, then your fuse/rcd is still on. What size fuse/mcb have you got on the circuit? 32A? 30A? 20A? This will give us a pretty good idea if its a ring or not (but not for certain..) and how many cables you have at each of your new 2 sockets. If there are 3 in one (ie 3 main cables = 9 small ones) and 2 in the other (ie 6 small ones) then this is probably a ring with a spur to your other 'dead'sockets. If you have 2 sockets on your spur this needs to be changed in to a ring. hope thats not too confusing!! hope this helps. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back