Replacing stripped wood floors in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two bathrooms (one with bath, one with just a shower) we inherited with our property that both have stripped floorboards that are causing us problems. They look very lovely and the previous owner has obviously gone to some trouble to fill all the gaps with slivers of timber and seal it all up with floor wax. I don't think they would be causing a lot of problems if only adults lived in our house, but as we have two small boys, a lot of water gets on the floor and some of it seems to be creeping through even the smallest gaps and we're seeing some running into the rooms below which is very worrying, especially when its around the electrical fittings. After running out of ideas for ways to fully waterproof the existing floors, we're left with trying to replace them. The problem is the bathrooms are lovely, well fitted and were probably pretty expensive so we really don't want to remove them, but any new floor would lift the level higher than the existing suite. Both bathrooms have large wooden vanity units with feature u-shaped legs that can't really be tiled around, there's a low level shower tray, and one has a vintage style radiator that is screwed to the floor. So, what's our best chance with this floor? Try to make it work as it is? Put down vinyl without any board underneath? Or spend a fortune having the suite refitted so we can tile? If I had to give up the wood (which does look gorgeous and really fits with the style of the bathroom) I'd prefer tile, but I'm worried that it will raise the floor level by far too much to be able to work around the existing suite? Or any suggestions to fully waterproof the floorboards? Can anyone help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back