Bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is quite a lengthy set of questions, so please bear with me!

My mum wants the bathroom floor done, and since we can't really afford to have it done professionally, I thought i'd research doing it myself.

We currently have a carpet down in there (gives you an idea of how long it's been since the bathroom was done!) and my mum wants me to just take out the carpet and waterproof the original floorboards. However, i'm a bit dubious, not least because this would make the bathroom floor lower than the hallway floor. So my first question is, is this a feasible option? And to sort the level problem out, would it be a matter of getting a new carpet tread to join the carpet in the hallway to the floorboards in the bathroom?

Secondly, if I can do this, how would I best waterproof the boards? I thought I could use waterproof varnish on the boards, and apply silicone around the edges and around the toilet, sink etc. However, i'm worried about the gaps between the floorboards. I had a swift peek under the carpet and they're about 3mm wide. Can anyone suggest a solution for waterproofing these gaps? I considered using wood coloured filler, and then varnishing them with the boards - would this work?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back