Bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post and I'm after a bit of advice with my bathroom floor. Just moved house and the bathrooms have carpet in them, I want to replace them with vinyl tiles. I've pulled all the old carpet & underlay up and I'm through to the boards. These boards are 500mm x 1000, I can't see underneath these boards without lifting them but I'm guessing they are a waterproofing / levelling layer nailed into the floorboards, rather then the floorboards themselves? Also in the corners and behind the bath I can see what looks like a plastic sheet, so I'm assuming this is a waterproof layer?

My question is can I lay the vinyl directly over the boards providing its level and prepared properly etc?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
You will get much better results if you lay 6mm ply and featheredge/microcoat the joins and screw/nail heads. Or look at F-Ball Isolator, you could lay the tiles directly onto that.

Thanks for your advice, I'll have a look into that! I had a closer look
and I think it's actually cement board under the carpet if that makes a difference!

If it's boarding, best to ply, if its a concrete floor, you would be best to self level screed.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for your help. At the risk of sounding stupid here is the ply / self level to help with waterproofing at all or purely for levelling and getting a decent finish?

Also I have (I think) uploaded a picture of the floor from
my phone, does this look like cement board?

levelling, and it provides a firm surface to bond the tiles too, it's non-pourous so the adhesive does'nt sink into the substrate etc. It's the pro way of doing it and will prevent the tiles shrinking or moving with heat and humidity and moisture etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back