Replacing switches to metal. Earth issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace some switches to a metal plate switch. All was going fine with most of the light switches but I've run into an issue with our bathroom switches that is fan controlled. It seems the earth is in some continuous loop with the wiring of the fan but that means it leaves no earth wire for me to earth the metal plate switches. Any idea how deal with this?

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_192208526.jpg
    PXL_20230812_192208526.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Connect the earth conductors to the switch plates earth terminal
There is no loose earth to do so. The one you see is connected to that little block that runs into another cable and back up into the wall. I'm assuming it's there to earth the extractor fan or something.

Remove them from the little block and connect them to the earth teminal on the switch plate or run a fly lead from the little block to the earth teminal on the switch plate

Sponsored Links
Remove them from the little block and connect them to the earth teminal on the switch plate or run a fly lead from the little block to the earth teminal on the switch plate
Ah okay, so I could just add a new extra earth in the same little block and fly to the switch plate? Any reason why it's currently wired the way it is? Most switches I've seen tend to have the earth connected to the switch plate or backing box

Most switches I've seen tend to have the earth connected to the switch plate or backing box
Depends on the manufacturer and material of plate and back box. Both plastic, so not required but cpc (earth) needs to be kept continuous

Any reason why it's currently wired the way it is? Most switches I've seen tend to have the earth connected to the switch plate or backing box
Your existing switch and mounting box are both plastic, don't require an earth connection , and dont have any connection terminals . Hence the earth conductors have been connected together in an insulated terminal block. Connect them to the switch plates earth terminal !

Last edited:
Is it only me who can see the earth wires ?1 or 2? are connected to a BLUE wire oversleeved BROWN ?

I'm looking to replace some switches to a metal plate switch. All was going fine with most of the light switches but I've run into an issue with our bathroom switches that is fan controlled. It seems the earth is in some continuous loop with the wiring of the fan but that means it leaves no earth wire for me to earth the metal plate switches. Any idea how deal with this?
This needs to be investigated before making any changes.
Do to have any test kit?
Are 2 earth wires in the sleeve or one?
Does the fan run on (continue running for a while after the light is switched off?
What is the other wire in the pic?
1691873612287.png

Can you see the wiring in the fan?
Can you see the wiring at the light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back