replacing taps not necessary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
My mother (who I do not live near) has had trouble with a tap in a relatively new bathroom. She is being advised to replace the tap for over £100 - just price of tap, not labour. I am frustrated that I don't live nearby to check myself and I don't know where the leak is (dripping or in tap connector at back). I also don't know if its rubber or cyramic washer and if it's a mixer tap or not...BUT surely the tap is designed to come apart and a section inside could be replaced. I feel it is unnecessary to have to replace the whole tap. Sorry I don't have more specifics but what is the general feeling out there. Is it likely that whole tap needs replacing?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
As you say it's a new tap it will more than likely be a ceramic insert type.

You'll need to identify the tap make/model to get the correct insert.
The best option would be to contact the people who installed it and ask them.

Failing that, get your mother to take a photo and do a google image search. Once you know the tap model, a replacement insert should be easy enough to source and replace.

Having said all that, I would have thought a plumber worth any salt would be able to take a quick look and help her out without automatically suggesting a new tap? I understand we all have to earn our bread but it's just not fair to make mark up on new equipment where it's not required.

Good luck getting spares for all the ebay chinese ceramic disc junk being fitted these days.

Sponsored Links
As there are about forty five billion different types of ceramic disc valve I doubt if the plumber has the time to search for the correct one. I always advise people to save the details of any new tap fitted so that they can contact the manufacturer if anything needs replacing. No one ever does though, including myself :)

My mother (who I do not live near) has had trouble with a tap in a relatively new bathroom. She is being advised to replace the tap for over £100 - just price of tap, not labour.
How long has the tap been installed and who purchased the tap - your mother or the installer? You may be able to claim under the tap guarantee.

thank you for all the replies
I have obviously irritated some of you out there!
The purpose of my post was to get a rough idea of the situation not an actual definitive answer
over and out

Not sure how you expected any more of an answer than you got.

A rough is idea is exactly what you received, and it was pretty good going based on your OP which seemed to go out of its way to be as vague and non-specific as possible.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts."

:rolleyes: :eek:

No one would change a whole tap if they could just change the inserts
Because changing taps can be an absolute pain in the arris

In my experience, though I haven't fitted or repaird taps for some years, bathroom install companies can never tell you the make and maodel of the tap - they use whatever is the cheapest dealat the time.

When I DID fit taps. I use to cut off the box lable, and silicon it somewhere discreetly for future reference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back