Replacing the door seal on Whirlpool AWZ410 AWZ 410

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've come across this site for the first time today, and it looks like there's some pretty clued-up folks around! So hoping someone might be able to help.

The door seal on my Whirlpool AWZ 410 needs replacing. I've bought a new one, and tried to fit it. I got the front retaining clip off (the one that goes round the door) but it seems that I can't get the back one off (by the drum) without getting the front or top off the machine. I have no idea how to do this, bacause as far as i can see there are no exposed screw heads for me to even start having a go.

Does anyone know how to get in to this machine? I really don't want to have to call out Whirlpool for £79.99 plus parts (unbelievable!) to do the job - I'd even have to buy another door seal, as they'll only fit 'official' (i.e. expensive) Whirlpool parts. Even though the seal I've bought is identical!

Please, please can someone help - my washing is piling up!!

Many thanks for any assistance.

Cheers, Mark

Sponsored Links
take off or drop the kick plate at the bottom front of machine will expose two or three self tappers, remove these then hand each side of front panel pull down and off. You should have enough access to remove seal from tub end held on by band with securing screw at the top. reverse all steps to refitt new seal.

Thanks very much Tockworth - I'll give that a try when I get in from work tonight and report back.

Thanks again, Mark

I Have just realised your model is a washer dryer not a washing machine and unfortunately whirlpool did make a range of washer/dryers were the front panel is not removable.All the fitting must be done through the door opening and the top of the machine fitting the inside first. If I remember correctly it is a of a pig of a job sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tockworth

Yes, found that out! Managed to remove the old one (just about) but couldn't get the new one on.

Called out a domestic repairer in the end. Even he broke a part trying to do it, but replaced it easily enough in the end. He charged £45 (better than the £80 Whirlpool wanted), and it was worth paying as I was on the verge of having a breakdown trying to do it myself.

Even having watched him do it, there aren't really any instructions I can give to help others to fit this themselves. It just looked like if you've done a few before you might manage it, but if not then you'd have to be extremely determined to do it yourself - getting the seal to mount at the rear and getting the retaining clip back on even had the engineer muttering under his breath.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Guys, just posting here in case anybody else has this problem.

Disconnect all pipes and unplug machine.

Lay a pile of towels on floor and lie machine down.

Take off the outer seal wire thing - find the recess where the spring is and prize out with a flat head screwdriver.

Cut off the seal with a blade (this gives you better access to the rear retention clip/wire thing)

You need a phillips head screwdriver - not sure of size - mine is about 4 inches long with a reasonably thin head (very very cramped space)

The screw on mine was at about 11 oclock

Unscrew the screw about half an inch

It should come out easy enough

REPLACING

Lubricate the part of the seal that contacts the metal - it makes it easier to get on

Put the top vent? in place

work the main seal into place

tighten screw

clean area around bottom drain? thing

work drain seal into place (not sure if this should be sealed with silicone or similar (I couldn't manage it and it doesn't leak)

I'm not bad at DIY but I found this job very difficult and it requires a lot of patience

It took me about 3 hours

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
ianopino

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back