Replacing the stop cock under my sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading this post, I hope you can help.

I’d like to replace the stock cock under my sink as it leaks a littler when I turn it off (funnily enough it’s okay when I turn it on).

I’m fairly new to plumbing but would love to try and replace it myself. Can I just check I’m following the right process?

Firstly, I plan to turn off the mains stop cock on the road. Then, I plan to turn on the taps on in my flat (to get rid of any dead water). After that, I’m hoping I can then remove the old stop cock and put on a new one.

Does this all sound okay? Have I missed anything?

Can I expect any water to come out when I remove the stop cock? I’m not sure this is relevant, but I live in a top-floor flat (so no piping above me).

Thanks again,

Martin

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking from around the spindle all that maybe required it to slightly nip up the nex nut that the spindle passes through and that may stop the leak. It has the effect of compressing the gland seal.

Nip it up a bit more, most gland seals can be tightened. Failing that, undo the hex nut and wrap some ptfe tape around the spindle and re tighten the hex nut nut thus forcing the tape into the body of the tap.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, one more question. is this just a stop gap solution? Or should I try and replace the stop cock at some point?

If you've done as I suggested then it will be fine. One thing to do is to turn these cocks on and off once in a while to keep the internals from seizing. That also applies to gate valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back